. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1
    Is anyone here running a csmio based machine with SimCNC?

    About to start a Denford Triac ATC retrofit, it came with an abandoned csmio ip/a retrofit so Iíve already got the control and i/o boards. Iím toying with the idea of retaining the csm for closed loop but wonít go Mach, however Iím also being pulled towards either-

    uccnc.. Iíve also got a uc300eth+ub1 and a mate has done the exact same machine with uc so with the requisite number of drinks and a chinese meal I could probably nick his config which means lots less work figuring out the atc

    Acorn- Iíve just done a Denford Orac ATC lathe conversion with acorn, I found it really easy to set up and I like their wireless pendant. Having the same UI on both machines would be a bonus.

    A choice between the two open loop options is my call but I was wondering whether anyone here has done enough real-world hours on simCNC to recommend it?

  2. #2
    Just responded to your other thread. Was this machine from a guy called Adrian by any chance?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Just responded to your other thread. Was this machine from a guy called Adrian by any chance?
    Yep thatís the one.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_p View Post
    Yep that’s the one.
    Small world. I helped him and his mate get started with wiring the machine but I know he had issues with the drives. One of the drives I think was repaired but I think they struggled with either setting it up or similar.

    Do you still have the drives or were they changed?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Small world. I helped him and his mate get started with wiring the machine but I know he had issues with the drives. One of the drives I think was repaired but I think they struggled with either setting it up or similar.

    Do you still have the drives or were they changed?
    Yes it came with the original baldor flex drives, one had been repaired as you say, and he replaced one with a kinko drive and matching motor. Iíve just removed the two huge cabinets from the rear, so Iíll be doing a scratch install in new cabinets within the plinth.

    Iím in two (actually three!) minds about which control to use. I like the idea of keeping the closed loop CSM hence my asking if anyone has used sim. Otherwise itís uccnc or acorn (Iíve just done an Orac ATC lathe with acorn.)

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Small world. I helped him and his mate get started with wiring the machine but I know he had issues with the drives. One of the drives I think was repaired but I think they struggled with either setting it up or similar.

    Do you still have the drives or were they changed?
    Yes it came with the original baldor flex drives, one had been repaired as you say, and he replaced one with a kinko drive and matching motor. Iíve just removed the two huge cabinets from the rear, so Iíll be doing a scratch install in new cabinets within the plinth.

    Iím in two (actually three!) minds about which control to use. I like the idea of keeping the closed loop CSM hence my asking if anyone has used sim. Otherwise itís uccnc or acorn (Iíve just done an Orac ATC lathe with acorn.)

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_p View Post
    Yes it came with the original baldor flex drives, one had been repaired as you say, and he replaced one with a kinko drive and matching motor. I’ve just removed the two huge cabinets from the rear, so I’ll be doing a scratch install in new cabinets within the plinth.

    I’m in two (actually three!) minds about which control to use. I like the idea of keeping the closed loop CSM hence my asking if anyone has used sim. Otherwise it’s uccnc or acorn (I’ve just done an Orac ATC lathe with acorn.)
    Yep, tough to know which way to go. I was considering ditching the CS Labs setup for Acorn but cant really justify it on the basis that this remains good kit (generally). Its the control software that's the tricky decision with CS Labs.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Yep, tough to know which way to go. I was considering ditching the CS Labs setup for Acorn but cant really justify it on the basis that this remains good kit (generally). Its the control software that's the tricky decision with CS Labs.
    yeah I'd discount the CS straight away if it wasn't for the closed loop, it's a shame they don't seem to be pushing simCNC hard enough either on development or sales to get people invested in it so they build up an active user base. Or maybe it just needs some people like me to take the plunge. The S curve planner with closed loop is an attractive combo on paper.

    I've got a uc400eth+UB1+pendant in a box and some ac drives that will take step/dir, so that's a zero cost option.

    To go CS I'd need threading and mpg modules, and simCNC, so £400.

    I would really like to have both my little Denfords on the same control so I'm considering Acorn for the mill too, but I'd probably need the 1616 I/O board for the ATC, and once you add that to the acorn, pro license and their (nice) pendant you're looking at £1k.

    I guess it comes down to whether closed loop makes much difference on a small mill that won't be pushed to its limits. I suspect not...

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Steve_p View Post
    I would really like to have both my little Denfords on the same control so I'm considering Acorn for the mill too, but I'd probably need the 1616 I/O board for the ATC, and once you add that to the acorn, pro license and their (nice) pendant you're looking at £1k.
    It doesn't end at the pro licence either, ATC is another extra cost. I' was considering using the OAK for the Fadal conversion untill I realised and checked with them that the ATC is another extra $550, as is ridged tapping and just to add insult to injury your limited to 4Mb G-code files and if you want to unlock to unlimited G-code it's another $250. So that's an extra $1350 on top of the $1600 for the basic controller. Then they want $105 per cable for each axis servo drives to fit there custom 50 pin connector. So that's $3300 plus shipping/taxes just for the controller and software with ATC, ridged tapping and unlimited G-code all of which should come as stanard in my book. Plus it still needs a fairly decent PC and touch screen monitor to get the best from it.

    Compare this with the $5000 I've just paid for stand alone Industrial closed loop Absolute controller with 3 x 1.5Kw AC absolute Servo's/drives/cables and 7.5Kw Servo spindle/Drive deliverd to my door. All of which comes with as standard ATC, ridged tapping and large onboard memory for program storage with unlimited USB/Rs485 drip feeding and it's a joke.

    Oh and they won't even entertain talking to you on the phone unless you take the support package. Instead they shunt you off to the forum.!!!
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    It doesn't end at the pro licence either, ATC is another extra cost. I' was considering using the OAK for the Fadal conversion untill I realised and checked with them that the ATC is another extra $550, as is ridged tapping and just to add insult to injury your limited to 4Mb G-code files and if you want to unlock to unlimited G-code it's another $250. So that's an extra $1350 on top of the $1600 for the basic controller. Then they want $105 per cable for each axis servo drives to fit there custom 50 pin connector. So that's $3300 plus shipping/taxes just for the controller and software with ATC, ridged tapping and unlimited G-code all of which should come as stanard in my book. Plus it still needs a fairly decent PC and touch screen monitor to get the best from it.

    Compare this with the $5000 I've just paid for stand alone Industrial closed loop Absolute controller with 3 x 1.5Kw AC absolute Servo's/drives/cables and 7.5Kw Servo spindle/Drive deliverd to my door. All of which comes with as standard ATC, ridged tapping and large onboard memory for program storage with unlimited USB/Rs485 drip feeding and it's a joke.

    Oh and they won't even entertain talking to you on the phone unless you take the support package. Instead they shunt you off to the forum.!!!
    I think all those extras are for the Oak, not Acorn, right? The Acorn has rigid tapping/CSS and ATC capability included in the $299 price, but if you need more than 8 inputs or 8 outputs you have to get a 1616 board for another $299.

    Have you got a link for your $5k package? I've got a full size VMC which breaks down quite regularly, it has a Mitsubishi control and each repair is £1500 minimum even if I find the parts on ebay (which I guess puts the more industrial end of the Centroid price scale into some kind of perspective, perhaps a fairer comparison than the hobby end of the market.) I was thinking of putting an oak or similar into it but as you say it's not a cheap option considering I'd have to get new drives and possibly motors. Can it handle chain/arm-type toolchangers? And is there any support available or are are you stuck with deciphering a chinglish manual?

    (Talking of my VMC reminds me that on one occasion when a technician came (from the original manufacturer) to fix my British-built VMC, he told me how they gave up years ago manufacturing machines when they realised that you could buy an imported complete machine for not much more than what they were paying Mitsubishi or Fanuc just for the OEM control package.. )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Any Turbocad users here?
    By Desertboy in forum CAD & CAM Software
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 29-09-2017, 11:13 AM
  2. Probe-it / any users ?
    By dudz in forum CAD & CAM Software
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-11-2015, 10:51 PM
  3. Do we have any SolidWorks users here?
    By Mad Professor in forum Solidworks
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 31-12-2012, 07:35 PM
  4. How many LinuxCNC/EMC users do we have?
    By birchy in forum LinuxCNC (EMC)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 30-12-2012, 07:08 PM
  5. Draftsight users
    By boldford in forum CAD & CAM Software
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-07-2012, 02:25 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •