. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 22 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Have you got a link for your $5k package? I've got a full size VMC which breaks down quite regularly, it has a Mitsubishi control and each repair is £1500 minimum even if I find the parts on ebay (which I guess puts the more industrial end of the Centroid price scale into some kind of perspective, perhaps a fairer comparison than the hobby end of the market.) I was thinking of putting an oak or similar into it but as you say it's not a cheap option considering I'd have to get new drives and possibly motors. Can it handle chain/arm-type toolchangers? And is there any support available or are are you stuck with deciphering a chinglish manual?
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/13236...370#post117370
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_p View Post
    I think all those extras are for the Oak, not Acorn, right? The Acorn has rigid tapping/CSS and ATC capability included in the $299 price, but if you need more than 8 inputs or 8 outputs you have to get a 1616 board for another $299.

Have you got a link for your $5k package?
    Oh I forgot to add 1616 board to that shopping list because still not enough I/O on the OAK for ATC, so ye another $299.!!

I didn't think the Acorn could use the 1616 boards.? I've got one of the very first acorn boards and I'm pretty sure that can't use any I/O boards. Maybe they have changed this.?
    If your correct and Acorn does come with ATC, Ridged tapping, etc then that makes a mockery of there pricing and reasoning they give for why they charge as they do on the OAK.

Clive pointed you to where and what I bought.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Oh I forgot to add 1616 board to that shopping list because still not enough I/O on the OAK for ATC, so ye another $299.!!

I didn't think the Acorn could use the 1616 boards.? I've got one of the very first acorn boards and I'm pretty sure that can't use any I/O boards. Maybe they have changed this.?
    If your correct and Acorn does come with ATC, Ridged tapping, etc then that makes a mockery of there pricing and reasoning they give for why they charge as they do on the OAK.

Clive pointed you to where and what I bought.
    Eth 16/16 for Acorn was launched a month or 3 ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Eth 16/16 for Acorn was launched a month or 3 ago.
    I’ve just put an acorn in a lathe with an 8 tool turret, grey code position logic- centroid supply the necessary parameter settings to do it (was a literally a 10 minute job) but they’re adding atc setup into the wizard (with options for carousel or rack etc) in the next release. And I put an encoder on the spindle for threading and tapping, the input for that is included on the basic acorn board. So yeah acorn is actually a pretty good deal compared to oak, but I guess they’re thinking that the open and closed loop solutions are targeting totally different markets (with different budgets.)

So yeah acorn is actually a pretty good deal compared to oak, but I guess they’re thinking that the open and closed loop solutions are targeting totally different markets (with different budgets.)
    Yes they are just profiteering off industry which is wrong. End of day that just costs the public because industry just pass it on.
    Wonder how many sales they have lost because of this policy.? because I can't imagine anyone who like me is just retrofitting the odd machine and knows that the Acorn comes with all this extra functionality for less than half the price will buy an OAK. Esp when they can buy the controllers like I've just ordered from china for 1/3rd the price.

On that note just to answer your question about ATC and chain type then yes it can. We have just setup a What's App group with the engineer who is setting up the controller so I asked him.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Small world. I helped him and his mate get started with wiring the machine but I know he had issues with the drives. One of the drives I think was repaired but I think they struggled with either setting it up or similar.

Do you still have the drives or were they changed?
    talking of small worlds... the week I bought the Triac I was doing taking some welding coding tests in London. I went to pick the mill up (Southampton I think it was), I asked the seller what line of work he was in, he says he's a welding coding tester. I say Oh that's funny, I just did mine this week. He asks who the tester was, turns out he knows the guy... and he'd bought the triac off him!

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    talking of small worlds... the week I bought the Triac I was doing taking some welding coding tests in London. I went to pick the mill up (Southampton I think it was), I asked the seller what line of work he was in, he says he's a welding coding tester. I say Oh that's funny, I just did mine this week. He asks who the tester was, turns out he knows the guy... and he'd bought the triac off him!
    Ye, interesting coincident. Ye, he is down South near South Hampton. I rode down to his place on my bike to help him. Just off the M3.

Lives in Seattle, United States. Last Activity: 20-02-2022 Has been a member for 0-1 years. Has a total post count of 1.
    Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but did you ever try out simCNC? I've been using a CSMIO IP/A very reliably since 2013, but running on Mach 3 and dabbling in Mach 4. Just started thinking of trying out simCNC and would like to know what you think of it if you ended up going that direction. Thanks!

What's new in v3.401 beta?
    Here it is: https://en.cs-lab.eu/simcnc-changelog/

In version 3.410, in addition to the above-mentioned changes and fixes, a thorough cleanup of the source code has been made. While in the long run such treatments have a positive impact on the stability and performance of the applications, unfortunately immediately after such changes there may be errors in features that previously worked correctly. Therefore, any comments about irregularities are extremely welcome ???? For the first 10 reviews, we have nice prizes!

The videos below show how to install the beta release for simCNC and Mach4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNn9TPDUomI&t=12s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvsEa8Nni44

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information