. .
    I think this should be a simple 3d shape to cut - a simple flat triangle with a 72deg chamfer on 2 edges - the idea is to cut 5 which will then be stuck together to make a pentagon pyramid.

the whole thing is quite small (25 mm from base to point) and I'm using a 1mm flat bit - I went for a 3d contour and it generates to toolpaths except for 2 very annoying things.

I selected 3d contour and used the top and bottom contours to cut to

the cut doesn't go all the way down to the bottom contour

It won't cut along the vertical (short side) -I've tried using other modes with the same result

I'm clearly setting something wrong in using contour (I've only used it in 2d mode before) - can anyone help me with what I'm dong wrong ??
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	piece.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	28162

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Share your file, happy to have a look at it later...

In the meantime - is your tool long enough? Maybe increase the additional offset for the machining boundary...

Chances are you'll sort it on your own after a bit of button mashing - F360's a bit like that..!

Wal.

Cheers Wal - I can't seem to be able to attach the file itself- saying invalid format - I'd be very happy to email it.

I just tried it with changing the bit parameters to 1mm by 70mm long - didn't make any difference :-(

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Try zipping it..?

Quote Originally Posted by Britannicus View Post
    Cheers Wal - I can't seem to be able to attach the file itself- saying invalid format - I'd be very happy to email it.

I just tried it with changing the bit parameters to 1mm by 70mm long - didn't make any difference :-(
    just add .txt to the end of the file name
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Thread Information