. .
    Hi I just thought I’d post a couple of pics of my Orac conversion here. I bought the lathe in 2006 and I’ve just got it going so maybe I win a prize for the slowest retrofit...

I went with Acorn because the software comes in a native lathe option, I’m really pleased I did- the conversational programming seems great, for example you just choose “thread” then you get a huge drop-down list of thread forms already in there. Also it was really easy to set up, a few clicks in the wizard and and bit of faffing for the ATC (soon they’re adding ATC setup for 3 or 4 bit grey code sensors etc to the wizard, which will make it even easier.)

Now I’ve finished this I’m moving on to the Triac VMC so I’ll report back in 2030 :)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D8610866-C31B-47B2-B7AF-8463D3B63D0E.jpeg 
Views:	482 
Size:	347.1 KB 
ID:	28171Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A7EB9A47-EC45-4CC3-A075-0D5CD476BA99.jpeg 
Views:	343 
Size:	287.4 KB 
ID:	28172Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CC0CA675-D40D-420F-9ED9-DD0198A8C547.jpeg 
Views:	423 
Size:	360.8 KB 
ID:	28173

Quote Originally Posted by Kered View Post
    Looks good but I don't think having the electronics in a draw underneath like that is a good idea as it limits use of cutting oil and fluids, all depends on what your machining but cutting fluids lengthen tool life. Your mill will probably be finished same time as mine

Derek
    It’s how the machine was originally built, there’s no containment for coolant run-off so flood coolant was never on the cards. Dry cutting with carbide insert tooling and the occasional squirt of WD40 or air will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_p View Post
    Hi I just thought I’d post a couple of pics of my Orac conversion here. I bought the lathe in 2006 and I’ve just got it going so maybe I win a prize for the slowest retrofit...

I went with Acorn because the software comes in a native lathe option, I’m really pleased I did- the conversational programming seems great, for example you just choose “thread” then you get a huge drop-down list of thread forms already in there. Also it was really easy to set up, a few clicks in the wizard and and bit of faffing ]
    Hi Steve, looking good do you have any time to do the same for my Orac, mine has been in storage for some years waiting for me to get going, If you have any layout drawings / new parts list you would be willing to share "all costs covered", I also have Acorn waiting to be used.

Phill

Quote Originally Posted by phill05 View Post
    Hi Steve, looking good do you have any time to do the same for my Orac, mine has been in storage for some years waiting for me to get going, If you have any layout drawings / new parts list you would be willing to share "all costs covered", I also have Acorn waiting to be used.

Phill
    haha it took me 14 years to get round to doing mine, so unless you don't mind waiting until 2034 you'd be best off getting someone else on the case. I don't have any drawings, I just made it up as I went along. My Triac VMC is next on the list but don't hold your breath..

Thread Information