. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi all, Newbie here!
    I have a company that makes interesting stuff for events and brand activations.
    I've started researching CNC machines and want to dive right in with a decent purchase and learn on the job. I want a 3 axis 10'x5' bed machine with auto tool change. I've spoken to Opus about the Pegasus 1530 ATC and had a (lengthy!) whatsapp chat with Blue Elephant in china about the ELE 1530 (they got quite pushy). Also talking to MANTECH about the apollo 1530. These all look very similar....
    Has anyone got and experience with these machines? Could you recommend any other companies I should talk to? I think I'd ideally like to find a UK supplier as I'm concerned about parts and servicing etc.. Thanks

I can build you a custom machine exactly to your needs but there's no way I can match the prices they offer in China. What is your budget.?

I'm actually soon going to be converting an Opus machine (olympus) for a customer. He's happy with the build quality but the electrical isn't so hot and the controller is a DSP so I'm converting it to an Ethernet-based controller. Also fitting a 5.5Kw ATC spindle.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Can you PM me through this site?

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 15 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by jjpltd View Post
    Can you PM me through this site?
    Welcome to the forum

You might need another couple of posts to do that. But this one should help.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Thanks!

I'm looking for a similar machine with a rotary axis for table legs etc. Are the Opus machines Chinese ?

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post

He's happy with the build quality but the electrical isn't so hot and the controller is a DSP so I'm converting it to an Ethernet-based controller.
    Sorry to ask stupid questions, but I'm completely new to cnc. Can you explain the differences between DSP and Ethernet and the advantage it gives and price differential

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Sorry to ask stupid questions, but I'm completely new to cnc. Can you explain the differences between DSP and Ethernet and the advantage it gives and price differential
    Hi, No it's not a stupid question at all.
    First off DSP is a Controller type rather than a Communication type which is what Ethernet is. Ethernet is a common communication type for newer controllers but it's not the actual controller just how it connects to the PC.

DSP is a standalone controller type that doesn't have a PC involved and uses a handheld pendant with buttons and no screen or at best a very limited Matrix screen for txt display only. You load the G-code from memory stick, set the Zero points, etc pushing buttons on the pendant and the push go. After that, you have no feedback other than watching the machine work.
    For some this is ok but others like to see what's happening either by visual graphics on the screen or watching the G-code lines as they get processed or about to get processed. With experience, many a disaster can be avoided before it happens as you read the G-code before the machine actually processes it.

PC based controllers (which use Ethernet communication among others like USB etc) allow graphical and G-code file display while cutting among other things like Spindle speeds, Tool numbers, and many other options. They are also more flexible in what they allow you to do. ie: Toolchangers etc.

The Chinese DSP systems are also notoriously unreliable and often stop working for no particular reason, usually around 18mths from new.!!
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Lives in Slatina, Croatia. Last Activity: 01-03-2021 Has been a member for 2-3 years. Has a total post count of 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    I can build you a custom machine exactly to your needs but there's no way I can match the prices they offer in China. What is your budget.?

I'm actually soon going to be converting an Opus machine (olympus) for a customer. He's happy with the build quality but the electrical isn't so hot and the controller is a DSP so I'm converting it to an Ethernet-based controller. Also fitting a 5.5Kw ATC spindle.
    I'm interested in your custom machines, can you pm me?

Always go with a well known/supported brand. When buying a CNC machine it’s important to have the backup support in order to get problems resolved quickly.

I have a Kitamura Mycentre with twin pallet which has been great for in-house work and support our <a href=“https://www.mmturnedparts.co.uk”>Subcontract CNC Turning</a> lathe section.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information