. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzzer View Post
    AS you may be aware, the Saunders vise requires several sets of Mitee Bite Talon thingies as well as the Saunders fixture plate to mount it on - or your own equivalent. The adjustment range is almost zero, as you fix the vise up against the work, then nip up the Talons. That's good for repetitive work but a PITA for the more normal stuff I do and the cost would fairly add up by the time you have a workable system.

I like the look of those Zoro / Geradi etc vises. I'd like to acquire one some day when I can find an excuse....
    I believe it comes with 2 Reversible 4" Talon / Solid Jaws which im guessing are their own in house version so you dont necessarily need the mitee bite, i could be wrong.

And yes, it does need a fixture plate, i dont have one yet on my cnc so if I do end up getting it I can make the fixture plate for it.

I guess if you are looking for cheap, sub 200 range then the precision toolmakers vice you linked to will do the job fine. Ive heard it can be a PITA to screw it down as the bottom pin doesnt always sit correctly in the grooves
    CNC: OMIO X4 800L
    HG15+20 Linear Guide Rails
    1605 Ball screws
    0.8kW Air-cooled spindle

I can't comment too much on the cheaper end of the vise market, but Gerardi make some really nice stuff if you can hold out until it fits with your budget..

With the edge finders, if you want accuracy you'll have to dig a bit deeper and avoid the cheaper 'wobbler' type ones. But like others have said you should be able to get within 0.1mm quite easily with this type if your using it correctly https://www.cutwel.co.uk/10mm-x-6mm-...-insize-6567-1

I use one of these at work (admittedly, when my mills running at home it would be way out of my budget) https://www.cutwel.co.uk/martest-3d-...s-mahr-4304311
    Nice thing about these is it takes the human error out compared to the ones where you use a visual indicator like a buzzer, light or physical movement for you to stop moving the table. As long as its running concentric you just bring the dial to zero and your done.. spec says repeatability is 0.01mm.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJam View Post
    I can't comment too much on the cheaper end of the vise market, but Gerardi make some really nice stuff if you can hold out until it fits with your budget..

With the edge finders, if you want accuracy you'll have to dig a bit deeper and avoid the cheaper 'wobbler' type ones. But like others have said you should be able to get within 0.1mm quite easily with this type if your using it correctly https://www.cutwel.co.uk/10mm-x-6mm-...-insize-6567-1

I use one of these at work (admittedly, when my mills running at home it would be way out of my budget) https://www.cutwel.co.uk/martest-3d-...s-mahr-4304311
    Nice thing about these is it takes the human error out compared to the ones where you use a visual indicator like a buzzer, light or physical movement for you to stop moving the table. As long as its running concentric you just bring the dial to zero and your done.. spec says repeatability is 0.01mm.
    yes i posted another thread asking for comparison between the Gerardi and cheaper alternatives. Still not sure if its worth just getting the cheapest knock off version of the gerardi, its a good £200 cheaper approx.
    CNC: OMIO X4 800L
    HG15+20 Linear Guide Rails
    1605 Ball screws
    0.8kW Air-cooled spindle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information