. .
  1. #1
    I have a 3040 style cnc and am getting tired of my cheap £10 drill press that raise the part up whenever I tighten it.

    I dont have much Z clearance so I need a low profile vice and have narrowed it down to 3 contenders. all are 100mm Width and 100mm jaw opening. It looks like the cheaper ones copy the Gerardi, not sure if indexa and tuscan are just chinese knock offs. I know Gerardi is made in Italy.

    Gerardi Standard Series 100 - £536 (Overall height approx 63mm)
    https://www.cutwel.co.uk/workholding...d-jaws-gerardi

    OR

    Indexa PVM100 - £430 (Overall height approx 65mm)
    https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/hand-too...m/p/ZT1011146X

    OR

    TUSCAN MV100 - £360 (overall height approx 65mm)
    https://ymttooling.co.uk/workholding...n-modular-vice

  2. #2
    to be honest, apart from the gerardi the other two are exactly the same, just different branding on them. we have some rohm vices and another brand(cant remember the name) and they all exactly the same. I would personally go for the Tuscan as its £70 cheaper.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to johngoodrich For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    thanks John, yes that is what I was thinking, Tuscan and Indexa are pretty much identical. I guess the question is; is it worth paying the extra £180 for a Gerardi, or just get the cheapest. On a hobby cnc am I really going to notice the difference....
    CNC: OMIO X4 800L
    HG15+20 Linear Guide Rails
    1605 Ball screws
    0.8kW Air-cooled spindle

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by paul4523 View Post
    thanks John, yes that is what I was thinking, Tuscan and Indexa are pretty much identical. I guess the question is; is it worth paying the extra £180 for a Gerardi, or just get the cheapest. On a hobby cnc am I really going to notice the difference....
    The clue is in the 3rd picture of the Gerardi where every last nut n bolt as a part number.?. . . . I doubt the other two will have part numbers for anything but the jaws.!
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:


  7. Hi Paul
    I got one of these https://www.bk-faserverbundtechnik.a...8dtdn1fc9dls67 with a height extension and find it quite useful. I'm only a hobbyist but it's quite solid and has a low profile (without the height extension) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc-vice2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	532.0 KB 
ID:	28285 and the price wasn't too bad.
    Cheers
    Andrew

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to the great waldo For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    m_c's Avatar
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 20 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,459. Received thanks 281 times, giving thanks to others 7 times.
    Personally, I wouldn't spend that much money on a vice for a 3040 machine.

    Provided whatever stock you're using is thick enough, place a round bar between the moving jaw and the workpiece, then tap the work piece down.
    If I remember in the morning, I'll try and dig out a book that has a couple diagrams.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

  10. There is a base version that is cheaper https://www.bk-faserverbundtechnik.a...8dtdn1fc9dls67
    which might be usable. it's 82euros + shipping

    Cheers
    Andrew

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to the great waldo For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by the great waldo View Post
    Hi Paul
    I got one of these https://www.bk-faserverbundtechnik.a...8dtdn1fc9dls67 with a height extension and find it quite useful. I'm only a hobbyist but it's quite solid and has a low profile (without the height extension) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc-vice2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	532.0 KB 
ID:	28285 and the price wasn't too bad.
    Cheers
    Andrew
    thanks for the suggestion, i would prefer fixed jaw as it would be easier to find the work zero

    Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't spend that much money on a vice for a 3040 machine.

    Provided whatever stock you're using is thick enough, place a round bar between the moving jaw and the workpiece, then tap the work piece down.
    If I remember in the morning, I'll try and dig out a book that has a couple diagrams.
    please do, it would be handy to see that.
    CNC: OMIO X4 800L
    HG15+20 Linear Guide Rails
    1605 Ball screws
    0.8kW Air-cooled spindle

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FOR SALE: Tuscan ssv-150 single station machine vice
    By JOGARA in forum Items For Sale
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-03-2019, 05:21 PM
  2. Milling machine Vice
    By gavztheouch in forum Milling Machines, Builds & Conversions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 20-10-2014, 10:14 PM
  3. Milling vice, general milling vice or tool vice?
    By Web Goblin in forum Tool & Tooling Technology
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 15-12-2012, 10:15 PM
  4. What vice for a Sieg X2?
    By TheChunk in forum Milling Machines, Builds & Conversions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-10-2010, 08:06 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •