. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hello everyone,
    Im looking at buying a vertical bandsaw for occasional use that could cut aluminium plate of a thickness of around 6 mm. Can anyone recommend one that they use? Most of the machines on Amazon etc are for cutting wood so are there any considerations about choosing one to cut aluminium such as blade length / band saw wheels diameter?
    Regards Chris

I have a fox f28-191a bandsaw and I cut aluminium on it. have cut up to 3/4". I think the most important think is a very good blade and as much rigidity as possible. I use m42 bi metal bandsaw blades from tuffsaws.co.uk thefinest pitch I can get for the blade size. They aren't the cheapest blades, but they work very well and last a long time. Also take your time cutting, let the blasde do the work and don't push it or in wont cut anywhere near straight

3. The Following User Says Thank You to johngoodrich For This Useful Post:

I have a basato 3 bandsaw and often cut aluminum from 2 - 50 mm thk without any problems. I use an M42 blade 1/2" x 4tpi, it has been in the m/c for a few years, I am not a fan of fine pitch blades for aluminum, but do use a fine pitch if cutting thin steel sheet

5. The Following User Says Thank You to johnsattuk For This Useful Post:

I got a Femi SN105XL metal bandsaws recently, converts from horizontal to vertical pretty easily. Very happy with it, cuts clean and accurate. Very light and space saving too which is ideal for a hobbyist like me

CNC: OMIO X4 800L
    HG15+20 Linear Guide Rails
    1605 Ball screws
    0.8kW Air-cooled spindle

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paul4523 For This Useful Post:

Completely ignoring your question re. vertical bandsaws, I bought a second hand 4x6 bandsaw, that spends as much time in the vertical position as the horizontal position. Originally bought to quickly cut bar stock (a hell of a lot bigger than your 6mm Ali) (and box section) accurately, even trimming some 10mm steel plate left over from the welding bench - I've realised that within the limits of the throat (and these are very real limits!) that it's incredibly useful. Thin sheet I'll throw on the welding bench and use a jigsaw, but for anything that fits the 4x6 that is the tool of choice. A 10/14tpi blade will happily cut 1mm fibreglass copper-clad board, as well - bonus (and yes, I've used it to trim Vero board to size).

I'd love something with a deeper throat (!) but one of the best-bangs(!?!) per buck.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    Completely ignoring your question re. vertical bandsaws, I bought a second hand 4x6 bandsaw, that spends as much time in the vertical position as the horizontal position. Originally bought to quickly cut bar stock (a hell of a lot bigger than your 6mm Ali) (and box section) accurately, even trimming some 10mm steel plate left over from the welding bench - I've realised that within the limits of the throat (and these are very real limits!) that it's incredibly useful. Thin sheet I'll throw on the welding bench and use a jigsaw, but for anything that fits the 4x6 that is the tool of choice. A 10/14tpi blade will happily cut 1mm fibreglass copper-clad board, as well - bonus (and yes, I've used it to trim Vero board to size).
    I'd love something with a deeper throat (!) but one of the best-bangs(!?!) per buck.
    How square do you find it cuts please? I've been thinking of buying something similar for a while, albeit maybe a tad larger.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Voicecoil For This Useful Post:

Bear in mind this is an old, old, model, salvaged from some barn find and resold through a local auction house - it wasn't perfect out of the box, so to speak. I have tweaked the blade guides (info on youtube) and got it moderately square. That means I will most likely face a bar in the lathe afterwards, but if I'm cutting say a 10" plate, and I have to go at it twice (from each side) to get through the throat, then the cut will meet in the middle. Not brilliant, but this isn't a finishing machine.

Plenty of mods online to make them altogether more useful, and I've adapted the stand on mine to avoid swarf collection and to provide a useful store for the blades, vertical table, etc.

One complaint - the stand - the saw sits top-heavy so you have to be a bit careful lugging it about. And on mine the push-on, push-off buttons attract man-glitter like no-ones business so the Off-button is often depressed (I really should fix that!), but it's a workhorse for me. Mind you, I have little bench space so it suits my purpose well.

I think I paid £100 for it, that to me is a useful price for a decent tool.

I have a similar 6 x 4 and they are probably some the most common saws available . I too used mine a lot in the vertical with a small table added on to the guide. great for cutting bar but I found it limited when cutting sheets as anything wider than about 90mm wouldnt go "through "
    I found a Sealey "Woodworker" bandsaw which does about 350mm for a princely £160 but then could not find blades 2350 long.
    You can get them made though for not a lot.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Wo...72.m2749.l2649

Axminster stock ready-made blades that would fit - e.g. these

Don't woodworking bandsaws run too fast for metal?... there was one model, that I completely forget, that had a 1/2 speed gearing that a number of metal workers did recommend. Mind you - if it works for you then go for it - the throat on a 6x4 is very limiting for sheet/plate work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information