. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post

The rails and ball-screws are ok-ish thou they are the budget range but still better than round rail so your ok there.
    However the drives and motors you need to dump as they will cripple the machine, esp if using parallel port.
    Thank you for the reply JazzCnc. Fortune paid on me with the steppers and drivers as after a mix up I got my money back and for some reason they also delivered them anyway. What would be your recommendation of Steppers and drivers (budget wise)? Currently I'm looking at the Nema 23, 2.2NM (8 wire) ones from CNC4YOU with the CW5045 stepper drivers with a 48v power supply.

I'm pretty happy with the spindle and got it wired up to the VFD and it works great so far. I chose air over water cooled as I prefer the convenience of them and this machine will probably end up travelling with me when I work at different workshops.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    advise is spend a little more and buy a decent ethernet motion controller like UC300 or AXBB because parallel port is slow and frustrating. The motion controller is the heart of the machine so it needs to be good.
    I looked up your suggestions of controllers and will take them into consideration, more so the UC300 as the AXBB is going over my budget. I see alot of Chinese ethernet controllers - would they be any good for budget reasons? Currently I have an old laptop given to me by a friend with a parallel port so I'm planning on installing Linux CNC just to get me going for now.

Thanks
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Timatronics View Post
    I looked up your suggestions of controllers and will take them into consideration, more so the UC300 as the AXBB is going over my budget. I see alot of Chinese ethernet controllers - would they be any good for budget reasons? Currently I have an old laptop given to me by a friend with a parallel port so I'm planning on installing Linux CNC just to get me going for now.

Thanks
    Tim
    I have one flavour of Chinese Ethernet motion controller - a Novosun NVEM 5 axis controller. Used it for a couple of years on one machine. Replaced with a UC300ETH. It's collected dust for the next couple of years as I bought a Mesa Ethernet controller for the Lathe (Lathes present a problem with control software which pushed me down a LinuxCNC route, which pushed me at the Mesa). All-in - around £500 extra because I DIDN'T want to use the NVEM. The NVEM work, on a good day, but I've had to modify stepper drivers to work reliably. There was all sorts of problems ensuring Mach3 and NVEM synced correctly - you might find for example that if you exit Mach3 (crash, etc) that you have to repower the machine to get the NVEM ready to accept the connection on restart.

My experience - I can afford to throw money at a problem to make the NVEM go-away (although its sat on a shelf, somewhere). For the price of a UC300ETH, and a parallel BoB, to me it's a no-brainer which to buy. Plus, I've kind of fallen in love with UCCNC rather than Mach3, so that's a more clear choice for me (the NVEM cannot be used with UCCNC... last I checked).

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    I have one flavour of Chinese Ethernet motion controller - a Novosun NVEM 5 axis controller. Used it for a couple of years on one machine. Replaced with a UC300ETH. It's collected dust for the next couple of years as I bought a Mesa Ethernet controller for the Lathe (Lathes present a problem with control software which pushed me down a LinuxCNC route, which pushed me at the Mesa). All-in - around £500 extra because I DIDN'T want to use the NVEM. The NVEM work, on a good day, but I've had to modify stepper drivers to work reliably. There was all sorts of problems ensuring Mach3 and NVEM synced correctly - you might find for example that if you exit Mach3 (crash, etc) that you have to repower the machine to get the NVEM ready to accept the connection on restart.

My experience - I can afford to throw money at a problem to make the NVEM go-away (although its sat on a shelf, somewhere). For the price of a UC300ETH, and a parallel BoB, to me it's a no-brainer which to buy. Plus, I've kind of fallen in love with UCCNC rather than Mach3, so that's a more clear choice for me (the NVEM cannot be used with UCCNC... last I checked).
    Thanks for the information Doddy,

So regarding the UC300ETH, its not a complete package then, I need a separate BoB to work with it? Would it also work on LinuxCNC? I guess its not a real issue as UCCNC is pretty cheap.

Thanks
    Tim

Thank you for the reply JazzCnc. Fortune paid on me with the steppers and drivers as after a mix up I got my money back and for some reason they also delivered them anyway. What would be your recommendation of Steppers and drivers (budget wise)? Currently I'm looking at the Nema 23, 2.2NM (8 wire) ones from CNC4YOU with the CW5045 stepper drivers with a 48v power supply.
    This is easy to answer.!! . . . I wouldn't fit a standard stepper system these days because for the same or similar money you can better get a closed loop system like this one below. Closed loop system gives you more piece of mind that your not losing steps because the encoder tracks position and the drive corrects any following errors.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hybrid-Se...cAAOSw4vVdgef7

The Cnc4you drives are ok but nothing special and you could probably buy the same things cheaper but if your happy with a standard setup and want a Uk supplier then they are ok. However, the drives are rated for 50V max so I wouldn't recommend you use 48v PSU, Ideally you need a 10% safety factor on the PSU due to the motor feeding power back into the drives. I think you'll find Cnc4you have a warning on there 48V PSU saying not to use with CW5045.! . . This is why.!)

I would give the Cheap Chinese controllers a miss, I've never used one but seen others with lots of problems from them.

The UC300 needs a Breakout board so it's not any cheaper than the AXBB and to get it's full potential you want a good breakout board that can use all it's ports etc.

I've seen you mention LinuxCNC.! You cannot use LinuxCNC with UC300 or the AXBB it's UCCNC or Mach3/4 only.
    If your going to use Linux CNC and want to use Ethernet then you should be looking at Mesa cards. However for a simple setup then Linux CNC on the parallel port will be fine if your prepared to accept it's a little more complex than say Mach3 or UCCNC to setup.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Hi,

I just wanted to say a big thank you for everyone's help here especially Jazzcnc for pointing out some purchase choices. I knuckled down and finally finished it a few weeks back, a few days before returning to work. I've not had that much time with it since but so far (apart from some settings issues) I've been super pleased with how its going. I had to think a lot about the controller and eventually settled on the DDCSV2.1 for now. Anyway here is the finished build and pretty much the first cut I made.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200913_150714.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	347.6 KB 
ID:	28839

Name:	20200829_150637.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	148.4 KB 
ID:	28840

Name:	20200829_150637.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	148.4 KB 
ID:	28840

All the best

Tim

Lives in Leeds, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-12-2022 Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 116. Received thanks 16 times, giving thanks to others 21 times.
    Good job, looks rather quite nice and compact! Will you be putting it in any enclosure or fences around to prevent the material from being thrown all over the place? I have mine in an enclosure with a 24v 100mm fan pumping the airborne dust outside. Not to mention it also is a damn sight better on the ears as the noise is reduced by a good near half of what it would be without an enclosure.

Quote Originally Posted by RobC View Post
    Good job, looks rather quite nice and compact! Will you be putting it in any enclosure or fences around to prevent the material from being thrown all over the place? I have mine in an enclosure with a 24v 100mm fan pumping the airborne dust outside. Not to mention it also is a damn sight better on the ears as the noise is reduced by a good near half of what it would be without an enclosure.
    Thanks Rob,

Quite possibly yes as I was testing some cuts today and I'm pretty my whole street could hear it, not great on a Sunday. Its mainly gonna be used for aluminium and delrin so that tends to just gather around the machine so I'll need to look at extraction close to the spindle at some point. At the moment its my trusty old hoover :)

Tim

Lives in Leeds, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-12-2022 Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 116. Received thanks 16 times, giving thanks to others 21 times.
    Yeah mine too is very noisy when doing deep cuts, I thankfully have a water cooled spindle so its just the cutter noise. I don't have any setup for collection, I clean up on each new tool change and then the end with a 100mm dust collection system hose. Again all down to the noise of the dust collector

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information