. .
    Hi guys,

I would like to get some advice. I am planning to start a CNC career.

I am 37 years old graduated as a Level 3 Mechanical Technician with CAD/CAM basics 20 years ago. I live in Nottingham and spent many years in warehouses and unfortunately i didn't practice my profession. Now i decided to refresh my knowledge which is very poor at this point.

I would like to get some help how to start it, how to get a CNC setter/operator job (possibly a trainee job) as soon as possible. As a woodworker enthusiast i have some experience in woodworking so i prefer to work in this "sector".

I have found several courses (2-4 days) but i am not sure about them. Any opinions? Does it worth it? I don't want spend money for "nothing" because i am not sure that 4 days is enough for anything.

Please give me some tips how to start it. Thx

Peter

Hi peter .
    looks like not much help on this topic which of course is disappointing.
    I too would be interested in short courses .
    I made contact with the local tech who do nothing .
    At Newcastle (upon tyne )they run courses when they get the numbers but the courses are ten weeks and geared to companies who pay big bucks to train their guys.

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17-09-2023 Has been a member for 3-4 years. Has a total post count of 13. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 3 times.
    Hi, Peter & John, This is a difficult one to advise on, But I would suggest having a look at Fusion 360 for the hobbyist (free) and have a look at your local
    Makers Space pop along and ask if anyone can help. Maybe knocking on the doors of local machining companies. I looked at the refreshing my skills but at £1200 per day, one to one training I went out brought a small milling machine with my savings.
    I wish you all the best with your quest.

Quote Originally Posted by RnD View Post
    Hi, Peter & John, This is a difficult one to advise on, But I would suggest having a look at Fusion 360 for the hobbyist (free) and have a look at your local
    Makers Space pop along and ask if anyone can help. Maybe knocking on the doors of local machining companies. I looked at the refreshing my skills but at £1200 per day, one to one training I went out brought a small milling machine with my savings.
    I wish you all the best with your quest.
    Hi RnD, thank you for the help, i keep trying

All the best

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Kered View Post
    A lot has changed in Cad/Cam in 20 years, as mentioned becoming proficient in fusion 360 is a door opener even freelance.
    You could also take a look at Titans of cnc academy https://academy.titansofcnc.com its a free online academy with lots of usefull info. especially if you can find a machine to work on, some good videos too on his youtube chanel
    hope you find something interesting that might help.
    Derek
    Hi Derek, Thank you i will check them.

Peter

Thread Information