. .
    I’ve just bought a Startrite 502. I think at 240kg I might have it for a while ;)
    Its a 3ph with a 2HP motor but I have a Huanyang 4HP VFD 220v arriving today for it.

The Startrite motor looks like its wired in Star but I take it it can be wired in Delta for the VFD, see pic?

The Startrite has some nice safety features, door limit switches and a brake pedal which works well so it would be good to use them. As I understand it however the VFD needs wired directly to the motor bypassing the cut off options. So i’m guessing I need to use the VFD control terminals and set up the VFD perimeters if I want to have the on/off and safety switches etc triggered through the VFD?

Has anyone got a good guide to this conversion or links to one where the existing ON/OFF and safety cut off switches can be wired through the VFD.

Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200701_173515.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	28506

Name:	IMG_20200703_092919.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	237.6 KB 
ID:	28507

Name:	IMG_20200703_092940.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	357.1 KB 
ID:	28508Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200703_093004.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	137.8 KB 
ID:	28509

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Yes, the VFD should be directly wired to the motor.

To switch to delta, all you need to do is spin the link bars from horizontally across the bottom three terminals, to linking pairs of terminals vertically. There should be 3 link strips, even though only two are needed for star connection, unless somebody has lost one.

If you want to retain the built in switches, you'll need to wire them to the VFD control terminals.

I'm guessing it'll wired so all the stop switches (doors, pedal, and main stop) are wired in series, so you just need to configure the VFD to monitor one input so that if the circuit breaks, it stops the motor.
    Then have the start switch wired to another input.

If you're lucky, somebody may already know what settings you'll need to change, to avoid brushing up your chinglish :-)
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

Hiya,

Thanks, thought I was on the right track. Just linked the 3 strips for Star connection and checked the earth is secured so thats good to go.

Yes I just need to find those two sets of terminals on the second or third level of the Huanyang connector block and change some settings. Someone had a guide for this surely, its been done enough times :)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Yes, the VFD should be directly wired to the motor.

To switch to delta, all you need to do is spin the link bars from horizontally across the bottom three terminals, to linking pairs of terminals vertically. There should be 3 link strips, even though only two are needed for star connection, unless somebody has lost one.

If you want to retain the built in switches, you'll need to wire them to the VFD control terminals.

I'm guessing it'll wired so all the stop switches (doors, pedal, and main stop) are wired in series, so you just need to configure the VFD to monitor one input so that if the circuit breaks, it stops the motor.
    Then have the start switch wired to another input.

If you're lucky, somebody may already know what settings you'll need to change, to avoid brushing up your chinglish :-)
    Last edited by marbles; 04-07-2020 at 11:49 AM.

Thread Information