. .
    Hello all,

Just a quick one to introduce myself. I've been lurking here for a few months trying to absorb as much information as my little brain can handle, now it hurts! First off I'd like to thank everyone for contributing such valuable information, even if I have no idea what some of you are talking about a lot of the time...

Ultimately looking for (probably diy build due to funds) a router to enhance my work.

I play with composites mostly but I'd like a well rounded machine (around 1200mm x 800mm bed) capable of wearing a few different hats. A removable/hideable water tray for composite machining, possibly a drop bed so big foam blanks can be carved(3D). I expect a separate machine for the foam may be easier at a later date, long z travel vs rigidity? Hopefully capable of machining aluminum, to use as inserts/plugs in moulds.

I already have too many ideas of how i can put a cnc to work... So feel free to shoot me down (just a little bit!!!) before I get carried away. I'm here to learn after all.

So much for a quickie.

Thanks again, from Cornwall.

Welcome to the forum! Long time since I was last in Penzance, I remember hearing about the death of Princess Diana on the drive home after a day of SCUBA diving was cancelled by the weather.

I'm not sure even Montgomery Scott could build you just one machine to do all you want. But you're in the right place to find out!

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Thanks for the welcome.

That was a while ago now, not much has changed down here.... Not sure if that is a good or bad thing?!
    Well there are certainly plenty of ship wrecks to dive around here, something I've always fancied doing.

If it's doubtful Scotty could do it, maybe I'll just settle for something capable of machining aluminium for the minute... That can always help me create another machine if need be.

I know the openbuilds machine's aren't well regarded here, probably for good reason! Pondering whether the Lead machine with the high z mod would be capable of chewing through low density PU foam to within, say 0.5mm accuracy?
    This would be a dedicated foam machine just for 3D carving.
    Can see problems with the wheels,tracks and drive screws filling with dust and debris over time (belt drive more suitable here?). I'm guessing I'd need to get just the frame (probably from overseas) and add my own electronic components that are more suitable for 3D carving.
    Ant thoughts?

Thread Information