. .
    Hello All,

I say Newbie(ish) because I have been lurking for over a year without posting anything.
    What I have now finally done is purchase an old RYE Quantum QM2515 cnc router.
    It has a twin-spindle system and vacuum bed.Although no pump!!
    2440mm x 1220mm bed size. Powers up and moves to datum. No software or any idea what it originally used, however i'm open to suggestions on what now may work!!

I have been considering making my own frame,gantry etc for ages but when I saw this I thought well for the money even if all the motors and electronics need replacing it would cost more to build the frame and guides etc.

I won't be doing anything with it for the next few weeks until a couple of other things are out of the way.

I look forward to your comments and hopefully loads of help!!!
    images below....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	202.9 KB 
ID:	26521   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	179 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	26520   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	177 
Size:	237.8 KB 
ID:	26519   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	177 
Size:	197.5 KB 
ID:	26522   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	162 
Size:	142.9 KB 
ID:	26523   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	167 
Size:	158.0 KB 
ID:	26524  
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 11-10-2019 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Added images locally

Nice machine! I’ve a rye as well!

I thing we get to the same point of buying a robust base!

Rye made quality machines.May we assume you have a three phase power supply?I raise the topic because the [I]weakest [I] motor I have seen on a vacuum system was 4Kw.You will be able to hold down some jobs with clamps or screws I expect.If it moves to datum you should just need to load programs and run them.You would be a long way ahead if you have manuals for the machine and if they didn't come with the machine you may struggle to find them as Rye went out of business almost twenty years ago.I used to know who bought the remnants of the business,but for now it has escaped my memory.

Do you have the ability to create programs to produce parts?

Actually my bed is connected to a 220v pump; not sure about the spec but I have it there, I can check.

I have a controller (nee AMC) with manual that run my RYE and I’m planning to put it on the market.

Which controller do you have on yours?

Thanks for the replies.
    Yes very robust base!
    We do have 3 phase elec. This takes 3 phase for the motors and 240v for the electronics.

Would you believe I bought it unseen…!

I get delivery on Tuesday do I should know more then.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

I am new to CNC, however, I am highly conversant with most 2d and 3d CAD and design packages.

In terms of control software I don't have anything at the moment.

It would be great if I could get something to work through the serial port and on board controller. (DNC maybe).

If not for what I paid I'm happy to strip all the electronics out and replace with a modern board and drivers etc.

I'll know more once I get a look in the cabinet.... Cheers

PS.. should I start a new thread in the main forum?
    Agors will we have our own RYE section

Its good that you know your way round CAD software as this will give you a huge boost when iit comes to producing parts.In terms of control software,are you sure that what the machine has currently is deficient?If the machine can move around to home itself,it may just need a program loaded to get you up and running.How you load the program to the controller withing the machine might be a bit challenging.At the time Rye ceased manufacturing it was common to use floppies to move data and I wonder if the blanking panel on the top face of the controller covers a hole where a floppy drive once lived.An RS232 or a network connection for a CAT5 cable would be easier to live with and if all else fails you will have to resort to sitting there with a notepad and calculator typing in Gcode.I don't see a port of any kind,but there may well be something.I sincerely hope it doesn't come down to typing Gcode as there are much easier alternatives for generating toolpaths and transferring them

You certainly have a rugged machine and lots of hobbyists will envy it.It would be a huge challenge for an amateur constructor to assemble something of that quality.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to routerdriver For This Useful Post:

Hiya, welcome to the forum and nice purchase!

I've uploaded your machine pics to the forum and attached them to your post otherwise they will eventually be lost when eBay decides to delete them from their servers, hope you don't mind but we love pics on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by BEACHBLANKET View Post
    PS.. should I start a new thread in the main forum? Agors will we have our own RYE section
    Absolutely and yes!

I just added a Rye CNC Routers forum to the Gantry/Router Machines & Building section, i'll start moving any topics I can find over in to that forum shortly, if you could put your build logs in there that would be great.

Also, a company called CNC Support Ltd purchased quite a bit from the liquidation of Rye, you may not need anything but if you do need an original part they may come in handy, you can find out about them here: https://www.cncsupport.co.uk/rye-cnc/
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 11-10-2019 at 10:18 AM. Reason: added link to cncsupport
    .Me

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Roberts For This Useful Post:

Finally started a new thread and now have time to get this thing running!!

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Thread Information