. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    And I've just had a look at the DMA860H manual! Yes, no fault output. One of the reasons I chose the EM806 was for this reason. So, looks like you will have to do without and just be a bit careful! Most of the time it's not an issue, just occasionally when you are a bit careless with a rapid feed along the bed and hit a clamp or something left lying about.Should it happen? Of course not! Does it happen? Well...

Looking on the bright side, if one end of the gantry has hit something and stalled the motor that side, chances are that if the machine is strong enough, the other side will also stall before permanent damage is done. And then you will be glad you worked out how to easily resquare the gantry without major engineering or measuring effort!

Good luck in any case.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

Thanks Neale, Im still playing around with it at the moment after just finishing getting it to the stage where I can cut things. I had to get my head around Fusion CAM and offsets and the like. Its one thing learning how to build the machine then another learning curve working out how to use it.

Hi and first thanks for your help :)

I read this post and i start to learn how to wire csmio IP-M and i have some doubts (here i post only the Slave axis and i put questions in other posts).

In my Arduino grbl i never used slave ports i only put a cable between the to drivers for connect one to other and i only use one output.
    Now i see the ip-m have slave option, the real question is:

- It's really necessary use the slave port? or i can use the old wiring system because is the same?

Thanks for your time :)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cncwoodprojects For This Useful Post:

If you wire two stepper drivers in parallel like that, there is always a risk that you will have problems. It is a theoretical risk (and I am not going to describe why it might happen) and in practice it often works. That does not mean that it is a good idea!

In particular, because the IP/M has a separate output that you can use for the slave axis, and it is very easy to configure in the software, it is just as easy to wire the two outputs to your drivers. I would strongly recommend that you do it correctly.

Have you thought about how you will square the gantry when you home it?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

Ok i make the correct things and use the Slave axis :P

One question, "Have you thought about how you will square the gantry when you home it?", ip-m series doesn't have correction (and i don't know how it works).

The correction i make is move the axis manually (only when needed sometimes i see some deviation if something go wrong in the last work).

Thanks for your help.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cncwoodprojects For This Useful Post:

I used two methods to square the gantry when I was using the IP/M.

My first technique was to home the machine normally. This moved the gantry back to the home position by moving both ends of the gantry equally. If the gantry was square to begin, it stayed square. However, if the gantry was out of square, this process did not correct it. I had fitted home switches on both ends of the gantry. The usual homing process just used the X switch, so once I had homed the machine, I turned off power to the steppers and turned the A ballscrew by hand to home it using the LED in the A home switch. The switch and its trigger were set up to correctly square the gantry. I then turned power back on to the steppers, used Mach3 to rehome again (because I had done a reset) and unless there was a problem, the gantry stayed square for the rest of the session. That process was simple and I used it for some time.

Someone on the forum suggested a different technique which I also used. You can turn on and off slaving in the IP/M configuration tool. When I started a session, I would use the configuration dialogue to turn off slaving. Back to the Mach3 screen, and I could use a modified homing macro which homed Z, then Y, X, and A simultaneously. Each home switch used a separate input on the IP/M - otherwise you cannot home axes simultaneously. This homed both ends of the gantry to their own home switches and assuming that the switches were correctly adjusted, the gantry was squared. Then back to the IP/M config screen, re-enable slaving, and continue as normal. It sounds complicated but in practice it worked well - if you did not forget one of the steps!

I now use a PV Automation ET6 for motion control which does automatic gantry squaring.

Wow, thanks for the detailed explanation.

The first option is the one i used but with one difference, i don't reset controller because i stop only the PSU's of the drivers and i can move manually and i doesn't need to rehome.

I have one emergency stop button for stop only driver psu's i think in the new control box i put it too for make this process easier.
    Last edited by cncwoodprojects; 13-12-2020 at 03:58 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cncwoodprojects For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information