. .
    Hi all, I was wondering If anyone had any experiences (good or bad) with the cheaper alternatives to Hiwin? I am asking because I don't really have the spare cash to buy the genuine Hiwin but I still want to build a machine and maybe change it out at a later date.
    I do understand this is a false economy but its the situation I'm in. Any thoughts appreciated - thanks mike.

Depends on which you buy but where have you been looking to buy Hiwin from.?
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Depends on which you buy but where have you been looking to buy Hiwin from.?
    I've looked at the prices in the UK and that's defiantly out �� also bst automation which I have seen recommended on here but when you see links like this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...76ef2fb8zZfLxx it just make me wonder are they any good? - thanks mike

The problem with those kits is that everything is low quality and together they make for a big difference. For instance, the BK/BF End bearings make a huge difference to performance, accuracy, and reliability. With low-quality BK/BF you are wasting your time because they introduce backlash and you are forever adjusting them with shims etc, these are the little details that make a big difference to a machine but don't cost a fortune for better quality.

If you're on a budget you'll be better off buying Freds (BST) cheaper profiled rails and buying his better BK/BF bearings and ball-screws. Fred's cheaper linear rails/bearings are ok if on a budget.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

On my YouTube channel Banggood sent me some Machifit 20mm rails to look at along with generic ballscrews and mounts. They are for my drill press to create an XY table and allow accurate drilling of holes and bored features.

Now I got them for free to include in my videos and being only a drill press I thought it would be a low risk option to have a look at them. I’ve only got enough parts for the Z axis so once I’ve got this up and running if I’m happy them I will buy some for the XY part of the table. If not then back to Hiwin for the rest, but I would be able to report out how I got on either way so hopefully everyone would benefit and make an informed choice.

So far they look OK from a few limited bench tests and I’ve not found any issues but really I can’t say any more until they are on the machine and I’ve used them properly. Also this is not a CNC machine so there will be no rapids but I will expect accuracy. Progress is a bit slow so that may be some time away before they are in use. Have a look at Ep7 if you are interested in how I’ve got on so far. If you can’t wait until I’ve got them in a working machine then you won’t go wrong with Hiwin.

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/7699-...eriences/page5
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

7. The Following User Says Thank You to routercnc For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    The problem with those kits is that everything is low quality and together they make for a big difference. For instance, the BK/BF End bearings make a huge difference to performance, accuracy, and reliability. With low-quality BK/BF you are wasting your time because they introduce backlash and you are forever adjusting them with shims etc, these are the little details that make a big difference to a machine but don't cost a fortune for better quality.

If you're on a budget you'll be better off buying Freds (BST) cheaper profiled rails and buying his better BK/BF bearings and ball-screws. Fred's cheaper linear rails/bearings are ok if on a budget.
    Yep, everything you say makes sense, I will have plenty of time to save up as I haven't even decided what size to make it (keep changing my mind) - thanks mike.

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    On my YouTube channel Banggood sent me some Machifit 20mm rails to look at along with generic ballscrews and mounts. They are for my drill press to create an XY table and allow accurate drilling of holes and bored features.

Now I got them for free to include in my videos and being only a drill press I thought it would be a low risk option to have a look at them. I’ve only got enough parts for the Z axis so once I’ve got this up and running if I’m happy them I will buy some for the XY part of the table. If not then back to Hiwin for the rest, but I would be able to report out how I got on either way so hopefully everyone would benefit and make an informed choice.

So far they look OK from a few limited bench tests and I’ve not found any issues but really I can’t say any more until they are on the machine and I’ve used them properly. Also this is not a CNC machine so there will be no rapids but I will expect accuracy. Progress is a bit slow so that may be some time away before they are in use. Have a look at Ep7 if you are interested in how I’ve got on so far. If you can’t wait until I’ve got them in a working machine then you won’t go wrong with Hiwin.

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/7699-...eriences/page5
    Great video, seems like a very fair and honest review, the bearings from banggood look very similar to the link in the first post with the reference edge like the real Hiwins. I can't seem to find 1500mm rails tho - thanks mike.

Thread Information