. .
    I am comparing three vices from arceurotrade to be used in my occasional aluminium milling work.
    I already have a vice of the type "Precision-Tool-Vices-Type-3" - https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catal...l-Vices-Type-3

I bought it from ebay, not from arceurotrade howevrer.
    The issue with this is that the work piece gets lifted around 0.2mm especially if it is attached to the top of the vice. I dont think type-3 vices create a downward force when tightened.

This time I am planning to buy either 'Precision-Tool-Vices-Type-2' or 'ARC Versatile SG Iron Milling Vices'. Can I expect that these would not lift the work piece like the one I use now? And also, which one would be a better choice for my DIY type occasional aluminium milling work? Both of them seem to cost similar.

Lives in Manchester, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 18-07-2020 Has been a member for 2-3 years. Has a total post count of 1.
    Have you had any luck adjusting the "keep plate" on your ebay vice? It's shown in the third image on the arceurotrade page you linked. Snugging this up may help with the jaw lift you describe.

Quote Originally Posted by a-d View Post
    Have you had any luck adjusting the "keep plate" on your ebay vice? It's shown in the third image on the arceurotrade page you linked. Snugging this up may help with the jaw lift you describe.
    I saw this instruction and tried that but it did not have much effect. Even after adjusting the keep plate, the jaw lifts considerably.

I have used the Arc Euro type 2 vice for years and never noticed any lift. The screw pulls in and down at 45 degrees. I prefer it over the conventional vice you mention as it is ground on all sides and can be used on its side or as a precision square for supporting larger pieces against on outer edge. Considering buying another to fix long pieces so would recommend them. You might see them used on my video channel on YouTube. Hope this helps.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

I bought a Chinesium angle-lock type (Kurt clone) vise some years ago and it was pretty crap, rather like you describe. Finally I dismantled it and was surprised at what I found, even though I had low expectations. The angled face on the moving jaw was so roughly finished that the contact between it and the nut was made on the casting mould line. The half spherical seating (aka ground down ball bearing) that is supposed to form the contact was in fact present - but it was lurking in the background as a sort of lucky charm I guess. It was only retained by the heavy grease that had also ended up in there somehow.

I machined a proper spherical seating for the ball bearing using a 16mm ball end mill (ironically from Arc Euro) and reassembled it, thus sort of regaining some of the intended function. However by this time it was somewhat weakened. I use it on my smaller machine now but I was fully aware that I'd been polishing a turd.

For my main machine, I have one of Arc Euro's 160mm versatile vises and it's pretty satisfactory. Ketan at Arc has got his supplier quality control fairly well sussed.

A half decent angle lock vise will resist jaw lift but there are probably instances where the concept can't work. However, I've not encountered any so far with the Arc Euro one. I'd certainly recommend one from my own experience and understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    I have used the Arc Euro type 2 vice for years and never noticed any lift. The screw pulls in and down at 45 degrees. I prefer it over the conventional vice you mention as it is ground on all sides and can be used on its side or as a precision square for supporting larger pieces against on outer edge. Considering buying another to fix long pieces so would recommend them. You might see them used on my video channel on YouTube. Hope this helps.

That's good to know. Thank for the info. And I also watched some of your videos and saw you using that vice.

BTW, your CNC build is very impressive!!

Thread Information