. .
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Hello everyone,
    I've finally been able to spend some time and get power to the machine.

All seems to power up ok, screen on, inverter ready etc.

Currently 'drives on' will not execute.
    I've done a keyboard test and it's the only button that does not register, however, when opened up and pressed my continuity tester beeps so I think the fault lies further down line.

It's showing an Axes xyz drive Fault.

Obviously this was cheap for a reason!!!

I do have the manuals and electrical schematic for the machine... stupidly I left them 30miles away at home...

Anyway enough for today, I've posted up the inner workings pics if anyone is interested in viewing.

My aim is at the very least to use this as a base even if it requires all new electronics motors etc...

I'm great on the software side... Unfortunately not so good on the hardware... Any help/comments/advice welcome

Rs232 cable connector I'll have to dig out an old pc!!

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Another pic

Cabinet sensors quite sensitive...
    Needed a little wiggle...

Now able to turn drives on and home machine

Last edited by BEACHBLANKET; 18-07-2020 at 01:25 AM.

Next on the agenda is what to use to send a 'job'...

It came with an old Alphacam booklet and very old Alphacam cd

Would anyone know if Mach3 or 4 would communicate to this through the rs232?

Or any other suggestions... Use newer design/cam software then run the file through the old Alphacam software maybe?

I know nothing.

I know even less about this machine.

But, I'm 95% convinced (just through deduction) that Mach and the machine can't work together. Nor do I think that you need Mach - the machine has it's own motion controller - Omicron 3000 which is what you've been using to home the machine, etc. You need to take a step back to look up the CAM chain - whatever you're using to generate the CAM - Vectric etc., would need a post-processor that supports the Omicron 3000. Then I'm guessing you'd take the post-processed output (typically G-Code) and somehow download this into the Omicron.

So, hit the old Google and search for instruction on the Omicron 3000 - I spent 5 minutes and found lots of posts from people asking the same questions as yourself.

If you was considering a Mach retrofit (or other machine controllers such as UCCNC) - then it is the Omicron that you'd swap out for the BoB/whatever and then Mach/UCCNC would interface to that directly. There's a bit of pneumatic magickry around the Z on that machine though - could be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    I know nothing.

I know even less about this machine.

But, I'm 95% convinced (just through deduction) that Mach and the machine can't work together. Nor do I think that you need Mach - the machine has it's own motion controller - Omicron 3000 which is what you've been using to home the machine, etc. You need to take a step back to look up the CAM chain - whatever you're using to generate the CAM - Vectric etc., would need a post-processor that supports the Omicron 3000. Then I'm guessing you'd take the post-processed output (typically G-Code) and somehow download this into the Omicron.

So, hit the old Google and search for instruction on the Omicron 3000 - I spent 5 minutes and found lots of posts from people asking the same questions as yourself.

If you was considering a Mach retrofit (or other machine controllers such as UCCNC) - then it is the Omicron that you'd swap out for the BoB/whatever and then Mach/UCCNC would interface to that directly. There's a bit of pneumatic magickry around the Z on that machine though - could be interesting.
    Thanks for the input Doddy.
    I'm going to try and hook up a laptop or PC with the rs232 input cable early next week... I'll report back then

I have Googled quite extensively for Omicron 3000... not that much comes up that is relevant.
    There's a couple of links to a company up north that has retrofit Osai controllers in lieu of the Omicron, I certainly didn't find 'many' people asking what I've asked????

My background is architectural and 3d design not in CNC so I'm just trying to get a steer really on the best route to take with this 'bargain' machine.

If I can use more recent software to design and sort the cam requirements out, I'm then thinking maybe older software to feed back to the controller via the RS232 to load the job.

I'm able to learn software quite quickly...... It's which software I need to look into that would really help...

Is that a correct assumption?
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by BEACHBLANKET View Post
    I have Googled quite extensively for Omicron 3000... not that much comes up that is relevant.
    There's a couple of links to a company up north that has retrofit Osai controllers in lieu of the Omicron, I certainly didn't find 'many' people asking what I've asked????

My background is architectural and 3d design not in CNC so I'm just trying to get a steer really on the best route to take with this 'bargain' machine.

If I can use more recent software to design and sort the cam requirements out, I'm then thinking maybe older software to feed back to the controller via the RS232 to load the job.

I'm able to learn software quite quickly...... It's which software I need to look into that would really help...

Is that a correct assumption?
    Thanks again.

Hi, I've recently stumbled across your post searching for some information on the same drive fault as your self.

Just wanted to say that I use Alphacam Standard Router. Then use alphaedit to send all information from alphacam to the post.

Hope the little bit of information is of some use to you.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to finski84 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by finski84 View Post
    Hi, I've recently stumbled across your post searching for some information on the same drive fault as your self.

Just wanted to say that I use Alphacam Standard Router. Then use alphaedit to send all information from alphacam to the post.

Hope the little bit of information is of some use to you.
    Hi,
    Thanks for the comment.
    Can I ask which version of Alphacam are you using and is your pc win xp/10 etc.

Many thanks Derek

Quote Originally Posted by BEACHBLANKET View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks for the comment.
    Can I ask which version of Alphacam are you using and is your pc win xp/10 etc.

Many thanks Derek

Currently using Alphacam Standard Router 2019 R1.

Not running a super quick pc but the spec is:

Windows 10 Pro
    CPU Intel i3-8100
    8Gig Ram

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information