. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi everyone, I've finally got my hands on a lathe after years of wanting one.

It's only a small one but has screw cutting capabilities.

The last time I used a lathe was about 16 years ago

Can anyone help with telling me what I need to do to fix the cross slide? It has a gib? for the bottom slide with the slots in. How does the gib stay in position?

The oversized screw was made by the previous owner with intentions on making a handle for it. I also need the brass nut which the screw works with to move the tool holder base (sorry for the lack of proper terminology)

The tailstock isn't original but has been machined to fit, the previous owner did this and assures me it's all lined up correctly. I don't have a tailstock centre to check it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200718_094816.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	278.7 KB 
ID:	28598

Name:	IMG_20200717_145338.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	431.0 KB 
ID:	28599

Name:	IMG_20200718_094831.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	341.4 KB 
ID:	28600

Name:	IMG_20200718_094838.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	408.8 KB 
ID:	28601

Name:	IMG_20200718_094853.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	274.4 KB 
ID:	28602

Name:	IMG_20200718_094953.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	264.7 KB 
ID:	28603

You need to find where the grub screws in the cross slide would adjust the gib strip - I can see two likely suspects in the first image, but normally there's more. I'd look on the tail-stop side of the cross slide - many bits on that lathe look similar to a ML7, and that's where the gib screws are on the ML7.

On my ML7 I *think* (too wet to go check) there're 6 holes - three to locate the gib and three to tighten the gib, fairly evenly spaced along the length of the dovetail. There's generally dimples machined into the mating face of the gib strip that the locating grub screws screwed into the cross slide fit into to stop the gib sliding about, and then the main adjusting grub screws then apply pressure onto the gib strip to mate to the face on the dovetail. If you look on the top slide you can see 4 grub screws to adjust the (shorter) gib for the top-slide.

That same image - the gib strip just looks like there's no locating dimples in it - that might be a decision that you have to take whether to sanction adapting the gib strip to allow the locating holes for the gib screws.

Hi Scott
    Have a little look at this
    https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...a&action=click
    what you need to determin is the diameter and pitch/form of the thread, this is a left hand hand thread. The jib strip for the Cross slide will probably be the same arrangement as the topslide the small screws adjust the clearance between the components and are then locked when you have the slide moving with minimum clearance. The Tailstock is almost identical to my Elliot Emcomat 7. you can buy leadscrews and matching nuts(do a web search to see if anything is suitable) also you can get lefthand taps on the bay of fleas. you will need to make a bearing holder for the handle end of the cross slide that will attach to the cross slide(There should be a couple of drilled and tapped holes already located on same)
    Regards
    Mike
    Doddy beat me to it

Quote Originally Posted by scott88 View Post
    The oversized screw was made by the previous owner with intentions on making a handle for it. I also need the brass nut which the screw works with to move the tool holder base (sorry for the lack of proper terminology)
    The analogy to the ML7 - the screw would fit into a bracket on the face of the cross slide - you can see two bolt holes on the front face of the cross-slide, which would then interface to a brass nut inserted into the saddle (the bit that straddles the ways... which the tailstock sits on)

Have a look at https://www.myford.co.uk/acatalog/info%5f686%2ehtml for an example

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    you can buy leadscrews and matching nuts(do a web search to see if anything is suitable) also you can get lefthand taps on the bay of fleas. you will need to make a bearing holder for the handle end of the cross slide that will attach to the saddle(There should be a couple of drilled and tapped holes already located on same)
    Regards
    Mike
    Agreed - almost certainly easier to source a pre-made leadscrew and matching nut, than to retrospectively match a home-made screw. Your lathe looks almost as though it shares parts - through design or by accident with the Myford... easy source, though stupidly priced.

Thanks fellas.

I did wonder if the gib should have dimples to keep it from moving, I could add some with a rotary tool I suppose. I'll need a shorter gib for the top slide.

Good to know it's so similar to a Myford, although as you say, their parts are pricey :D

I'll do some googling and see what I come up with.

If only I had a working lathe I could make my own parts....

Thanks again

Comparing mine to the Myford, it seems like mine doesn't have the brass nut. It seems like the screw id threaded directly into the slide (the circled part of the picture)

Name:	crossSlide.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	267.3 KB 
ID:	28608

I've found this part on the Myford site, do you like it would fit, if not I'm sure it could be adapted.
    https://www.myford.co.uk/acatalog/ML7-1545454455.html

Does anyone have a chart for the gearing? Maybe that too is the same as a Myford, I'll google it.

Re. will it fit?, that all depends on the measurements on the saddle/cross slide. If you look at the CNC conversion of an ML7... http://www.jeffree.co.uk/pages/ml7-c...fordcncpt1.htm you might be able to derive the Myford sizes. Or might offer an alternative making your own to sourcing from Myford.

Well found, the hole spacing is 2.65" :)

I'll check if it'll fit tomorrow.

my only concern is the sensibility of a threaded component in the cast iron of the saddle, from a wear and friction perspective. If it wears, you can always rebore it and insert a brass nut.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information