. .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I've got a Picoscope 2000 series PC scope that I use with my laptop. I've been happy with the performance for the price. They do a range of machines which might be worth checking out before you decide what to buy.

https://www.picotech.com

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

I use a Picoscope as well. Very happy with it although as mentioned you do need bench space for a laptop as well. On the other hand, that means a bigger screen, capability to store traces, etc. Horses for courses...

In my case, this replaced a Tektronix dual-trace 'scope, complete with delayed trigger timebase, etc. That had some hardware issues that I needed a 'scope to diagnose, hence the new one. Overall, similar spec for a fraction of the price - amazing what modern electronics can do for peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross77 View Post
    I'm looking at getting an oscilloscope and cant decide on a decent "ish" hand held one for basic signal checking or whether to just go for bench one?

the Hantek ones seem to get good reviews and isn't to pricey at just over a ton.

it will mainly be for logic testing on Arduinos, STM32 etc but I can see it might be handy for the workshop as well. does any one use oscilloscopes on their CNC setups?
    That's not easy to answer...

I have a Hantek MSO5202D which I use frequently and very happy with it. I think it all depends on how you plan to use it and how often plus of course how much money you are prepared to spend on it. If you just want to test logic and simple, low frequency things then you can use basically anything. Beware that many of the small and cheap battery operated ones don't have any mains protection and have limited maximum values, so if you intend to use it around a CNC then you should be careful what you chose. Also beware, that the cheap ones may not have good enough display update frequency and may have VERY limited buffer. Many things to consider. The higher the sampling frequency per channel the better it is, but they also cost more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross77 View Post
    Ok so it seems that I'm looking for a 2 channel 100Mhz bench scope

Is this OWON an good make?
    This guy in this video...

...checked it out and considers it's good enough to start with but he says he prefers the Hantek 5072...

... which have better trigger menu. Apparently, the Hantek can be upgraded to 200MHz, but you do this at your own risk if you decide to buy the Hantek.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to A_Camera For This Useful Post:

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Go and have a search/read over the EEVBlog forum. Lots of reviews/posts/comments about various scopes.

Personally I have a PoScope, which I've had for years, and it does the job when I need it.
    Having to use a laptop isn't ideal, although I did recently use it with my 8" tablet which was better.
    If it was something I used more often, I would probably invest in a DSO, however the PoScope is handy in that it all sits in a small box with all it's leads, tucked on a shelf. Even a DSO would probably take up much more room.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Have a look at the reviews on here. He was keen on the Rigols and chipping them a few years ago.
    https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php
    I did not read the above post before i posted but another plug for eevblog.

Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    Thanks for all the input, Really does seem to be horses for courses. I was leaning towards a cheaper bench scope to learn on but I have been offered a cheap second hand scope and PSU's from a workshop clearance.

trouble is they wont confirm it works but said it does power up, except the screen is blank. I haven't got the full details at the moment but should the screen light up even with no input? I'm assuming there should be a back light?

If I go and see it is there a quick test to check, never used one before so sorry it that's obvious.

"Powers up, blank screen" covers a whole multitude of possibilities.

If it's a digital scope then I'd expect something on the screen. Even if the trigger is set and untriggered there would generally be some configuration/setting data displayed. If not digital, at the cost of scopes these days I wouldn't entertain an analogue scope.

If it's a CRT (rather than LCD/TFT) then it could be as simple as the brightness turned down, but that's rather a bit too hopeful I think.

I'd tread carefully. How much cost and effort are you looking to risk on this (i.e. "free, around the corner from you" is a bit easier to swallow than "200 quid and 200 miles round trip"). If you want a second pair of eyes (I've rejected driving from Lancashire to Devon, btw), and can share details then feel free to PM without any motive on my part other than to offer help.

An additional advantage of the new cheap scopes is the don't take up much room, Spend some time on the EEVBLOG.

Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    An additional advantage of the new cheap scopes is the don't take up much room
    The ones in the videos above are tiny compared to the old ones. certainly a big plus

Spend some time on the EEVBLOG.
    Go and have a search/read over the EEVBlog forum.
    Cheers for the heads up, another useful site to spend my evenings looking at.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information