. .
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Hi thank you for the advice it's just what I needed I helps a lot on the design I was planing to use cap heads and sink them level with the surface.
    This brings up another couple of questions.
    1. Over a 600 mm length can I expect any flex on the gantry this will be an aluminium plate 600x150x15.
    2. Should the bolts used be stainless steel or high tensile ones.
    Thank you
    Albert

Quote Originally Posted by bigal999 View Post
    Hi thank you for the advice it's just what I needed I helps a lot on the design I was planing to use cap heads and sink them level with the surface.
    This brings up another couple of questions.
    1. Over a 600 mm length can I expect any flex on the gantry this will be an aluminium plate 600x150x15.
    2. Should the bolts used be stainless steel or high tensile ones.
    Thank you
    Albert
    A simple plate for the gantry like that will flex and vibrate more than you think. I would go for something with a proper depth like box section or aluminium profile.

Both bolt types will work for what you need. But high tensile would be used in an application where the loads being applied are enough to break a regular bolt. That shouldn’t be the case for a CNC machine where you are after stiffness not ultimate strength and they are probably more expensive so stainless will be fine.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Hi would reinforcing the 15mm plate with 2 lengths of 40x80 heavy duty profile
    One at top of plate and one at bottom of the plate help stop the vibrations

For the gantry the easy and quick method is to use 2 pieces of 90x45 profile and fit them together to form an L section. Nothing else is required, job done.

You can bolt the gantry sides to each end of the profile . (you can tap the holes in the end of the profile to 12mm)
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

I already have the 80x40 profile so I could use that in L formation as well as the plate better to be safe than sorry

It's not required albert for the type of work your going to do. The L shape gantry like Clive suggested works fine with 15mm plate, it's tried and tested design which works perfectly for a wood router. I've got dozens of small business users who I've built the same machine design running them 12hr days 6 days wk making every thing from MDF letters to guitars and fine jewelry boxes with very intricate inlays etc.

Also don't stress over the bolts, just plane old nuts and bolts will work fine. You will only need stainless if you are running coolant.!
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

How do you add a word file with a plan please

How do you add a word file with a plan please
    Zip the file first

Then how do you up load it

In the reply window try the little icon third from the right which looks like a tree in a frame. Then browse to your file.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread Information