. .
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Hi what size plate would I need for the sides of X and y axis also do you have any rough dimensions of the plate I would need just to give me a starting point to work out the bits I need please.
    Albert

Quote Originally Posted by bigal999 View Post
    Hi what size plate would I need for the sides of X and y axis also do you have any rough dimensions of the plate I would need just to give me a starting point to work out the bits I need please.
    Albert
    Albert, this is why I said Step #1 is a plan. Do a accurate drawing of the machine and it will tell you all the sizes.
    If using the design like picture Kit posted then 15mm plate as a minimum for the gantry sides. The height of the sides will depend on the clearance and Z travel you require, again drawing a plan of the machine will help with all this.

Don't be tempted to skip the steps or design on the fly as it's a recipe for failure and will cost you more money long term.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Hi I am not very good at cad and have only used it a bit.
    Will 2D drawings on paper and the photos be ok
    Albert

Albert
    Well, it would be good practice and you will need to learn a little CAD if you are going to use a CNC machine. But that said no you don't need CAD to build a machine and provided the paper version is scaled correctly then it won't be a problem.
    All you need at a basic level is a layout drawing that is to scale to give you the dimensions and a general idea if everything will fit and work like you expect and give the travels your wanting.

Albert
    Albert: They will but then how are you going to do the cad to machine something later. learning cad will be a good thing.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Hi I going to learn cad while I am building the machine what is the easiest cad package to learn
    Albert

Albert,

You'll probably get a dozen different answers to your question depending on what people are familiar with and that partly depends in which decade they first started using CAD themselves.

CAD is for drawing the object you want to make. You then need CAM (Computer Aided Machining) software for generating the G-Code that the machine will read in order to make the real object. The following packages include both elements.

The high-power budget option is Fusion 360 which is free for hobbyists to use but is a fully professional, up to date 3D package with all sorts of capabilities you would never have imagined wanting before. Some people find it easy to get on with, others find it over-complex for their needs. I would definitely recommend you try it out since there is nothing comparable in terms of capability or bang for buck. If you get on with it OK then I doubt there is any other better option for a budget-conscious amateur.

For several years I've been using CamBam. You have to pay a one-off fee for it but that gets you upgrades for life. This does not have the rendering, animation and other bells and whistles of F360 but is more of an old-fashioned (turn of the millennium) style 2D drawing package with CAM capability. The basic package can be greatly enhanced by adding a range of add-ons produced at no cost by the very capable and helpful user group on the software's forum.

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

I would say Fusion 360 is your best choice because it's free and fully capable professional program from a High end software company with both good CAD and CAM capability's. Yes it's a complex program with high-ish learning curve but it's massively covered with lots of tutorials online and users willing to help on forums etc.

Hi downloading fusion 360 today will post soon how I get on. Would a build in 10mm X 100mm steel be strong enough if I get stuck on cost of aluminium there are plenty of cheap stick welders about.
    Albert

Or would box section be better

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information