. .

Thread: Mach3/Linuxcnc

Hell
    I have a Routout CNC router which I've been using with Linuxcnc for a number of years. I have an old PC with a parallel port and I'm happy with linuxcnc and familiar with it.

I've now bought a mill which has been set up to use Mach 3 (through a USB cable). I don't have Mach 3. How easy would it be to use linuxcnc on this? To state the obvious, this is not exactly the often-asked question about whether you can use linuxcnc on a computer with only a USB port ( know you can't). I already have the parallel port, I need a way of translating the parallel port's output into a USB format, if this is possible.

Thanks

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 10 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by jolyonjenkins View Post
    Hell
    I have a Routout CNC router which I've been using with Linuxcnc for a number of years. I have an old PC with a parallel port and I'm happy with linuxcnc and familiar with it.

I've now bought a mill which has been set up to use Mach 3 (through a USB cable). I don't have Mach 3. How easy would it be to use linuxcnc on this? To state the obvious, this is not exactly the often-asked question about whether you can use linuxcnc on a computer with only a USB port ( know you can't). I already have the parallel port, I need a way of translating the parallel port's output into a USB format, if this is possible.

Thanks
    No you cannot use USB to control linuxcnc. But depending on the mill you could just use a simple Chinese BOB connected the the P/port.

You could even use the same PC as the router but not at the same time. ie. you can have two different configs one for the router and the other for the mill

It would help if you could give more info and pics of the mill. What version of Lcnc are you using?
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Thanks - I'm away from home at the moment so can't give those details. I think it may even be EMC rather than linuxcnc. TBH I understand so little of Linux (in this case Ubuntu) that I have barely touched the configuration since I bought the whole set-up second hand a few years ago.
    What should I be searching for with a BOB?

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 10 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by jolyonjenkins View Post
    Thanks - I'm away from home at the moment so can't give those details. I think it may even be EMC rather than linuxcnc. TBH I understand so little of Linux (in this case Ubuntu) that I have barely touched the configuration since I bought the whole set-up second hand a few years ago.
    What should I be searching for with a BOB?
    Something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-axis-CN....c100667.m2042
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Thread Information