. .
    So it looks like after 3 years I have come full circle and I'm looking at building a decent 3d printer.

I really didn't get on with the Wanhao D5 and whilst it had a solid frame any modifications would have been a major rebuild, so I have sold it. I saw on my old post someone mentioned Voron and having now spent a few days looking of the plans it seems like a pretty decent machine.

So has anyone built one?

I would probably start with the zero as a nice Proto printer and then progress to the 2.4 (I have 90% of the mechanicals)

One thing I'm not keen on is all the 3d printed parts. As I don't have a printer anymore I would probably look to mill then from Ali on the Novamill.
    Last edited by Ross77; 03-08-2020 at 11:23 PM.

Just building one now.

The Voron 2.4 with a 250x250 work area.

I've never owned a 3D printer before so used their PIF (print it forward) system to obtain the printed parts. A lad/guy in Belgium printed them for me. Before printing he advised what the pro's and con's were of the various options . I am VERY impressed with the service he provided and of the quality of the printed parts.

In the main I bought all of the parts via Aliexpress and am awaiting the last couple of parts to be delivered. Assembly has come to a halt

So, yes, I am building one. But no, I can't tell you how good it is.

If you want any info on what I did and why, just ask.

The Discord Voron channel is an extremely useful place to gain knowledge, and it's quick and efficient in having questions answered.

I am interested to know if you proceed how you get on.

Good luck.

Just building one now.

The Voron 2.4 with a 250x250 work area.
    Sounds good, I would have started with a V2 but I would like a more rectangular build area (500x 250), from what I've seen they say 350 cube is about max. I have some ideas to solve that but just wanted a functional printer in the first instance. I'm fine with the mechanicals but its the choice of electronics that seem the most challenging for me. so the Zero would give me a chance to play with different options.

Raspberry Pi and the SKR seem to be the preferred but the Duet fans disagree

What controller did you go for and what control board did you choose?

Personally I don't like the all in one boards so Id rather spit it all out so each part Is optimised and easily replaceable if it fails.

I would certainly be interested to hear the pros and cons. and any advice you have

Quote Originally Posted by Ross77 View Post
    I would certainly be interested to hear the pros and cons. and any advice you have
    Not sure that I can offer advice. I'll tell you what I have done so far................I'll find out eventually if it was the right choice.

Not knowing any better, I went with most of the suggested suppliers from the Google doc BOM

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1297316004

Bought fasteners locally

The Misumi 20x20 frame, I took the easy option and bought it from Fermio Labs all cut, drilled and tapped. I believe that for me it was the best option. The ends are remarkably square (it does not take much of a squareness error on the end of a 20x20 to make a large squareness error at the end of a 500mm long beam), I only had to use kitchen foil shim a couple of times to get perfection.

I went with SKR 1.4's and TMC2209's from BigTreeTech as they are reccommended. Also a Pi4. If you do a search on the Discord channel, you will find much discussion especially in favour of SKR and why.

I'll find out if the Dragon hot end from Triangle Labs https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000404170721.html?mp=1 was the best choice but again good things said about it.

That's it really, by the sound of it I'm newer to 3d printing than you.

I'm hoping that the last couple of things arrive from China soon......then I can get it finished.

The last unknown for me is "a reliable, cost effective source for good quality fillament"

Any pointers?

I'll find out if the Dragon hot end from Triangle Labs https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000404170721.html?mp=1 was the best choice but again good things said about it.
    How long did it take to arrive? I was sold but then few people have said they have had the bolts come lose and troubles with blockages. Seems they still need a 40mm fam to keep them cool. Size and weight wise it seems like a no brainer.

I've joined the discord and the Facebook groups so slowly catching up.

I had some 30x30 extrusion kicking around but the slots are too big for the rails. I really like the Voron design but for this one it needs to be function over form so I'm going to have a bit of a redesign based on what I have. I probably wont show it on the Voron groups in case they get upset :o)

I have THK 9 and THK 12 rails and some old Ali heat sinks. rigidity wise it will be rock solid and completely over engineered. The Z axis is from a dosing unit and has a Teflon lead screw and anti backlash nut which is very smooth. The motor, gears, belts and screw are all in in one nice unit.

Hopefully start ordering the electricals this week.

No idea on good filament, I have only used the crappy PLA and PLA+ that came with my old printer. Hope to use ABS / nylon on this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Base photo1.jpg 
Views:	726 
Size:	185.3 KB 
ID:	28696   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Base photo2.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	190.1 KB 
ID:	28697  

How long did it (Dragon hot end) take to arrive?
    The Dragon hot end was reasonable at six weeks from China.......

Delivery times from China (Aliexpress) have been variable. Most companies were offering 20-40 days or 30-50 days. After ordering, some parts arrived in three weeks but the last two parts have been on order for eighty days +. How much disruption the Covid added to the transport system is unknown. One company is ready to re-ship and the other is tracking and keeping me informed. I suppose it's the price of saving big bucks!

Delivery times from China (Aliexpress) have been variable. Most companies were offering 20-40 days or 30-50 days. After ordering, some parts arrived in three weeks but the last two parts have been on order for eighty days +. How much disruption the Covid added to the transport system is unknown. One company is ready to re-ship and the other is tracking and keeping me informed. I suppose it's the price of saving big bucks!
    definitely worth the wait, on a complete build its quite a saving.

I'm going off the V0 idea as people seem to be having issues with the cantilevered moving bed, which is the same set up as the D5 I had.

I like the size tho and the rails I have are only 200mm so cant build anything much bigger. I quite like the set up on the E3D tool change which has all the x-y mechanism mounted on a single plate. since I have a mill it would be easier to make then trying to mill the fancy Voron brackets.

The Railcore is also quite nice but don't like the open belts at the top. Just using the the linear rail as the X beam is quite neat.

The Voron, which you've been looking into, is a popular open-source 3D printer design that is known for its solid frame and ability to handle modifications.I personally like it. It may be a good option for you, but it's important to note that building a Voron can be a significant undertaking.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Mmmm...necrobump...

But I did build a Voron last year, just because I wanted to have one.
    My Enders still do the majority of my printing though.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Thread Information