. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ok chaps points noted.

In its current setup the main problems I've had are...
    1 - understanding the controller
    2 - getting a post processor for the machine/software combo

Now after much help from this forum...

3 - I now understand the controller
    4 - I've now modified a post processor from which I'm going to trial tomorrow.

As this is my first CNC machine (and was a punt tbh) I think Routerdriver is right in that I should use this as a starter/learning platform and see where it goes.

Software wise I can generate all of my design/CAD info in software I already own, it is literally just the tooling/toolpathing and NC code that I need Alphacam for.

Yes Jazzcnc it is built as they say!!
    It's nearly 3 ton that's what appealed to me initially, a solid foundation.

Then longer term if and when a business need does start to develop I can press the button on upgrades which have been carefully researched and considered.

There's no pressing need to be fully operational at the moment, but I would like to get a plan or direction in place should the need arise.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Thank you both, for your opinions...

Just a quick update...

After modifying the post processor it now starts and stops and cuts where it should at the correct height.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GfUPKpiU7RNKK4fXA

(Only test cutting at -1mm so extraction was removed)

So for now, I'm a happy chappy.

I've also worked out how to drip feed code to it, so nearly 10 minutes of code streamed consistently no problem.

Obviously, taking onboard JAZZCNC's comments I'm aware that this may be a ticking time bomb so I would still really appreciate any thoughts/comments on controller/motor/electronics options.

As I have no clue what's good/bad general brand/manufacturer guidance would be a massive help...I can then research in more depth... Many thanks.

It seems like you have cleared a major hurdle.If it cuts what it should and nothing else,you have cracked a large part of the operation.I'm a bit puzzled about the need to drip feed the program.Is there insufficient memory within the controller or do you not have the ideal comms package?I'm wracking my brain for the name of some of the programs that were used for sending large plot files to pen plotters in the early nineties.I also expect you may be finding the baud rate verging on neanderthal.None of which really matters if the machine produces what you intend it to.I have mentioned on this forum and elsewhere that I have a German friend who programs a very rugged vintage CNC mill using DOS and it will probably function for the rest of his working life unless a lightning strike fries the electronics.Older industrial quality controls can live very long lives but depending on this happening without some kind of contingency plan could be very risky.

I watched the linked video and it looks like you now have a spoilboard with several grooves in it.If there is an integral vacuum system you will need a new spoilboard before doing production work.For the time being could I suggest you simply(!) cut a few basic shapes to become more familiar with all aspects of the operation-from generating the code to setting datums to creating parts.Something like a small rack for the workshop to hold the stuff related to the machine might be useful.Meanwhile,keep doing your homework on modern alternatives but don't lose sight of the amount of work in successfully implementing them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to routerdriver For This Useful Post:

Hi Routerdriver, The memory on the controller is only 1mb... The file I sent was a photo vcarve so the machine had lots to do!!
    I drip fed it from Alphaedit which comes with Alphacam, managed it without fail.

I'm using a usb to rs232 which to be fair for £12 I'm really pleased with as it allows me to use a modern laptop without searching for one with a serial port.

Unfortunately the vacuum pump was not supplied with the machine, it had been removed prior to sale... I may look at getting another...early days yet...

I'm a long way off trying to make any money with this, but Iam enjoying seeing what it can do and working out what it can't!!

Great to learn that yet more progress is taking place.Have you tried a job with a tool change yet?Once you can clear that hurdle a lot of possibilities open up,although I have used an initial program and called up a series of sub-routines using different tools and the original part location offset and it worked very well as long as the machine was homed before each run.

Drip feeding longer sequences gets you past the limitation of the modest amount of memory and it might be worth keeping an eye on ebay in case any memory modules turn up.I wouldn't touch the controller at this stage but having a bit more memory on the shelf sort of guarantees that it won't be needed.Likewise a high flow vacuum pump might turn up and is a very useful thing to have on hand.

Please keep the progress reports flowing.

While it's all very well while playing and learning the machine with this controller I'm not sure I'd want to be using it for any real work where time is money or mission-critical work using expense sheets of material because drip feeding is going to bite you sooner or later.!
    It doesn't take many dropouts and wrecked sheets at £60-100 a pop and that's not to mention wasted time to recover the costs of an upgrade. Then when you factor in the potential upgrade in performance I'm not sure I'd be wasting any effort struggling to learn this controller or its ancient software.!

Biting the bullet and paying for upgrading sooner rather than later will pay for its self within a very short time if you have the work for it.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

I've not used the machine for a week or so I'm waiting on a guide to arrive.
    Having now greased everything I found one of the guide dust covers had failed/was damaged so still waiting for delivery before doing attempting anything else.

Jazzcnc I'm a long way off using this for 'paid' work... It's purely me experimenting/playing around and getting to grips with the CNC environment, Fusion 360 next!

I wholly take on board what your saying and would really appreciate any suggestions you have with regards to possible upgrades.

I don't have any paid work to feed the machine at the moment, I'm looking at December at the earliest before that happens and then it will only be part time.

Routerdriver...
    Yes more memory would be great I'll keep my eye open.

I've successfully used fusion 360 to design then output NC code into Alphacam/Alphaedit and post processed it to the machine with no issues at the moment.

Obviously I'm still doing very basic stuff... But I'm making progress

Just popping my head in to see how your getting on?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information