. .
    Hi, My name is Alan from Leeds.

I retired a few years ago from my IT career and have since got back into my childhood hobby of electronics and computing. I have started to produce lighting features and electronic clocks using up-cycled items, materials and parts. For the things I make I need face plates and cases making, so interested in learning about machines that can cut and etch various materials, acrylic, traffolyte, engraving plastic, maybe even aluminium etc.

I am also interested in getting work made by others who have the machinery and expertise. I have a pal who has a nice big laser capable of doing all the acrylic stuff, but he doesn't have a rotary cnc, so no good for the metal, etc.

I am also interested to hear of people's experiences of the cheap Chinese machines for a few hundred quid.

Oh and finally - I am also into pinball, got 13 machines at home, ranging from 1970's electro mechanical, 80's solid state, 90's Classic era Dot Matrix Display machines and modern LCD machines too.

Welcome Alan,
    Sounds like you have enough interests to keep boredom at bay. You'll be in good company here.

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kitwn For This Useful Post:

Hi Alan

and welcome from another Leeds lad (Guiseley actually, just down the road from the original Harry Ramsdens fish and chip shop - as was)

Read past posts and you will learn much from the experiences of others here, they are most helpful.

I've been planning a DIY CNC router build for years....must do it!

I'll watch out for your posts

Martin

hi Martin. i’m nearby in Rawdon. lmk when you get started! would be interested to see your progress

Thread Information