. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Following on from my recent query about unwanted spindle pulsing, I will take advice from there and get a separate spindle relay.
    I would like one which is robust but gives me the opportunity to vary speed so will need to provide a 0-10v signal to the VFD.

I did buy a CP0-10V https://www.cnc4you.co.uk/Breakout-b...Pump?search=cp but it did not live long.
    I don't know whether it failed , or whether I broke it , but if I ask them then it is bound to be the latter. Not sure if I would fancy the same again.

What other options would folks suggest ?

Maybe as part of the discussion I will raise an issue which occurred yesterday when VFD came up with 0PF2 (lost phase fault) whenever I stopped the spindle . It was stuck at 99.9hz and my manual pot seemed to be reluctant to turn it down. I reckon the pot had gone on the blink and by working it back and forth a bit I got it to control again.
    Maybe there is a better solution than a cheap wire wound pot????
    Last edited by John11668; 22-08-2020 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John11668 View Post
    Following on from my recent query about unwanted spindle pulsing, I will take advice from there and get a separate spindle relay.
    I would like one which is robust but gives me the opportunity to vary speed so will need to provide a 0-10v signal to the VFD.
    Hi John, Maybe you misunderstood when I said I use a better quality relay.? It's only for the Stop/Start and not the 0-10V speed reference voltage.
    You don't need the speed reference going through the relay as it's only telling the VFD how fast to spin, it's the Start/stop signal that pulses it on off.

Finder or Omron are both decent relays.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

I am only using the spindle relay function on the board to switch a 2 wire signal (24v) to tell the VFD to start the motor so very light duty and effectively the VFD is acting as a 3 ph., 1.5 Kw relay here .
    Along with its options for spindle delay , soft start , et al

This KK01 relay started to play up on its 5v USB supply , so I had to add a 5 v PSU.
    Previous BOB also from CNC4you, also fell over . so I cant use its 0-10V facility .

Is there a simple (I need simple ) spindle control relay capable of switching the signal voltage to start the spindle motor , then provide a 0-10V variable voltage to speed up and slow down the spindle as required .

If it comes down to it I can stand up and hit the start button and twiddle the pot to increase / lower the revs, but as I normally have my lazy backside on my bar stool, it would be nice to be able to control it from the keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Hi John, Maybe you misunderstood when I said I use a better quality relay.? It's only for the Stop/Start and not the 0-10V speed reference voltage.
    You don't need the speed reference going through the relay as it's only telling the VFD how fast to spin, it's the Start/stop signal that pulses it on off.

Finder or Omron are both decent relays.
    Presuming the BoB relay is up to the task of starting the VFD , then where do I take my 0-10v signal from ?
    Does UCCNC facilitate that?

0-10v will still come from the breakout board as usual

John11668 - some BoBs, though not the KK01 that you have, have an onboard PWM - to 0-10V converter, and within UCCNC you'd specify the pin that this function is attached to, and then UCCNC would generate a pulse-train that the BoB would then convert to 0-10V for spindle speed. Unfortunately, as mentioned the KK01 doesn't support this function. Ironically, the more typical $5 chinese BoBs tend to.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddy For This Useful Post:

Right so what is the difference between this
    https://www.cnc4you.co.uk/Breakout-B...th-Charge-Pump

And this
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CNC-5-Axi....c100005.m1851

Apart from having to wait a couple of weeks that is

To be fair, the £50 includes a charge pump. If you don't know already - a charge pump requires a constant pulse-train from the controller (PC) before it enables the spindle relay... to avoid inadvertent signals from the PC inadvertently switching the spindle on... ta da!, that's the real solution to your problem.

Anyway, ignoring the charge-pump functionality, the boards are functionally similar, though as you might expect the £50 card a bit more refined, although that one in particular looks very similar from a component count to the Chinese board. Both offer a 0-10V PWM driven output.

Of interest - your old CP0-10V - you said that didn't last long. What happened to it?, how did it fail? And do you still have it? There's limited interest in a dead board but it's an expensive board to replace - if you wanted me to have a quick look to see if there's anything repairable on the board I could take a look for you if you cover postage.

i have one of those cheap ebay ones in your link and that does exactly what you want. i have it linked to my uc300eth and it turns the spindle on and off and also controls the speed through mach

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information