. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Oakapple View Post
    The machine I have doesn't strike me as being in any way flimsy, in fact when I saw it I was surprised at just how much I was getting for my money (which is always a factor in a production situation, where there are always other ways of making the parts I need).
    Well with all due respect if you haven't got any experience with CNC machines then you have nothing to compare it with.!

At the moment you are not seeing its weakness because you are not cutting correctly so are not pushing the machine, which isn't a good sign because it's struggling to cut correctly now.!
    You mention production and when working in a production environment cutting at production feed rates then you can rest assured its weaknesses will some come to the surface. Because while the frame and gantry seem quite sturdy to you they are actually very flimsy when it comes to cutting at anything like correct feed rates with a good depth of cut (DOC) which are required in the production environment.
    The things you will find when cutting at anything like production parameters will be poor finish quality along with poor tool life or worse broken tools. All these things make a huge difference to cycle times and the quality of finished parts. They also affect tool life greatly and if your underperforming you are actually wearing tools prematurely which can lead to breakages and worse damaged work but more importantly lost time.

I'm sorry to say this but this machine is at best hobby level, yes it can be used in a business environment but I promise you it's underperforming in comparison to a more substantially built machine. Which means it's costing you money.!
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    ...I'm sorry to say this but this machine is at best hobby level, yes it can be used in a business environment but I promise you it's underperforming in comparison to a more substantially built machine...
    What would you suggest as an alternative?

What would you suggest as an alternative?
    Well that's the problem isn't it and why so many people buy these machines because the alternatives are far more expensive. The Honest reply is I can't give you one without declaring a self-interest which is not why I said what I did.

Now I'm sure others who know I build machines are thinking I pull these machines down for my own gain but I promise you and all the others that's not the reason. I don't need to do that to sell machines, they sell them selfs and I'm never short of work.

The reason I point out the things I do is purely to help others who have little or no experience understand exactly what they are buying.
    Also, I'm not calling the guy who builds them or the build quality, thou some of the eBay versions of this design leave a lot to be desired on build quality, this one does look like one of the better-built versions. Thou it's too expensive at £5k for what you get.!

My objection to these machines is the flimsy design and poor component selection. £5k should get you a much better spec machine than this at this size.

Well that's the problem isn't it and why so many people buy these machines because the alternatives are far more expensive. The Honest reply is I can't give you one without declaring a self-interest which is not why I said what I did.
    I have the same quandary when I see some of the kitchens posted on forums. I can see that they're not very good but I can't say very much because I don't want to make it look as if I am touting for business when I already have all I need, for the time being anyway.

I have the same quandary when I see some of the kitchens posted on forums. I can see that they're not very good but I can't say very much because I don't want to make it look as if I am touting for business when I already have all I need, for the time being anyway.
    I know it's very difficult some times and it's a fine line to tread but I know from helping and talking with disgruntled buyers of these types of machines that it needs and must be said for the sake of those who are still sat on the fence. I upset a lot of people I know but it's the truth and if that hurts then I'm not sorry because if it's not said folks are going to waste hard-earned money buying machines that are not suitable or up to the task they believe them to be or told they can do things they cannot.

However, in the next few months I'm going to try and spoil the party for these cheap eBay guys, so watch this space.!!

However, in the next few months I'm going to try and spoil the party for these cheap eBay guys, so watch this space.!!
    So what do you envisage a CNC router with a working area of 8' x 4' built by you would cost, and when would you expect to be able to supply it?

So what do you envisage a CNC router with a working area of 8' x 4' built by you would cost, and when would you expect to be able to supply it?
    I won't get into costs etc on here but if you want to contact me then I'll gladly discuss a price. Regards when then it probably wouldn't be before Xmas and more like the end of January 21.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information