. .

Thread: Boxford TCL 125

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    The auto tool changer are good but come with there own limitations so it’s not as clear cut as it would seem at first
    If you have a need to make hundreds of the same part then the auto tool changer is a must have but if you are mainly making 1 and 2offs then the manual quick change tool post is a better option if you are making 10 to 20 offs then personally I think the manual tool post is still the better solution
    I bought into the QCTP with the splined tool post Swiss made originally. It allows for very accurate tool positioning and takes a few seconds to change tools I have 10 tool holders all pre set with tools that are shared between the two lathes all tools being stored in the tool table in Linux cnc
    Very nicely put Paul
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Spoilsports!, just as I start to figure out how to integrate a baby atc onto my ml7 you’re saying don’t throw away the QCTP 🙁

It’s horses for course really
    I spent ages looking for an atc for my orac lathe. Decided they are like hens teeth and therefore bought the same qctp as my boxford so it could share tool holders between the machines
    I’ve been so impressed I stopped looking for an atc
    My jobs tend to be 1 to 20 offs so this works for me
    If I was doing 200 offs regularly then the answer would no doubt be different

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a no brainer to me that you get as much money off as possible and gut the machine. No way I'd pay £1100 for 160 which you'll still end up gutting at some point.

Or I'd get the money back and look for another cheaper 125 or 160 and gut that. Either way, if you are using an old Boxford you'll likely end up gutting it for new electronics.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Maybe then it comes down to whether I want a working lathe or a project???
    Have to think about that . TCL 125 will give me more of a project and If you are telling me that Boxford boards will need replacing in the future then maybe haggle a bit more off that to fund the replacement boards .
    And as it is already standing in my workshop then maybe the way to go

Nice to have the other views on whether the ATC actually is as valuable as it sounds.

As the 160 been converted to use from a pc or does it need the boxford software ?
    This is important if you want a working lathe out of the box as boxford software is both expensive and they may well not even sell it to you

Paul

Like Depronman says ATC isn't all that.!! .. . .esp the Boxford ATC which IMO are sloppy dinky toys with weak motors, the slightest friction or unbalance and they bind.

If you are not planning on leaving it unattended then a good QCTP will be stronger and more accurate.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by depronman View Post
    As the 160 been converted to use from a pc or does it need the boxford software ?
    This is important if you want a working lathe out of the box as boxford software is both expensive and they may well not even sell it to you

Paul

I cant imagine there would be any software included so I expect to have to suss out how to connect whatever software i choose to go with.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Like Depronman says ATC isn't all that.!! .. . .esp the Boxford ATC which IMO are sloppy dinky toys with weak motors, the slightest friction or unbalance and they bind.

If you are not planning on leaving it unattended then a good QCTP will be stronger and more accurate.
    All noted ! Will think about it over the weekend but you guys are swaying me away from160

Thinking about this to day.

I will go for the step by step approach and stick with the TCL125 as a conversion project. Maybe a step on the way to something more purposeful.

So I will fillet this , hopefully retaining the the lenze controller for spindle operation, and build a new board with Bob and a couple of stepper drivers, (Cheap chinese variants) .
    Will think about the manual panel. It would seem like a nice option. But if all fails may try to include a touch screen .

Would be nice to be able to establish if the existing boards work so if anyone is interested it would be nice to come to an arrangement ?????? Otherwise I just get stuck in !

New thread probably needed for the way forward!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread Information