. .

Thread: Boxford TCL 125

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Lives in bris, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 19-09-2022 Has been a member for 3-4 years. Has a total post count of 21. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Nice one ,at least you can move forwards now.

Quote Originally Posted by John11668 View Post
    Hi folks
    Both axes jog fine when attached to my PC and Drivers, using my current mill profile and jogging X and Y so looks pretty much like the driver PCB in the machine is shot.
    I will set up a lathe profile on Mach 3 just to check that I can operate that!
    I don't think it means it shot, it might just need the Boxford software to work.? I don't think all of them will operate from the front panel without the Software but i could be wrong.!

Also you do realise it's X and Z axis on a lathe, you won't find a Y-axis in the Mach Lathe profile.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    I don't think it means it shot, it might just need the Boxford software to work.? I don't think all of them will operate from the front panel without the Software but i could be wrong.!

Also you do realise it's X and Z axis on a lathe, you won't find a Y-axis in the Mach Lathe profile.
    I did realise that Jazz but just using the mill outputs for X and Y to drive x and z motors

Engineer believes that the panel should permit manual jogging provided the manual button is selected on. This is also required for the spindle motions to work.
    You may be correct but they told me that the machine was in full working order which of course I cant test , but neither could they. I can only presume that their engineer knows his machines. Used to work for Boxford they tell me .

Does anyone have one of these working on Boxford software who could confirm or otherwise ?

i have two boxford tcl
    the first and all original, driver transformer, capacitors, wires, etc.
    we have only replaced the original card, created with the same fixing holes, a slightly modified mach 3,
    the lathe did not have the cnc turret, I found 2 photos in 2d, I processed them with solidworks and I created a cnc turret, made to make the pieces in china.
    added a 3 amp driver and the turret turns, all ok

the second cnc lathe had already been retrofitted, they had removed a large amount of the original system leaving only the spindle driver and motor, transformer.
    the retrofit had been done by the old owner but it didn't work, it had some bloblem bugs,
    with an experienced friend, in 2 days to solved. had to study all the previous changes and find the errors.
    now it works fine.
    front panel disabled, only emergency button works.

Hi All
    And thanks for your contributions
    Am waiting for response from vendor before I decide how to proceed.
    Ideally I think I would like to see the machine working on its own panel and if a replacement board gets me there I will press for that.
    Then I will look to providing computer inputs from Mach 3 initially before I take the plunge with linux .

So that is current plan . I recognise though that things do not always go to plan, ( well certainly not for me !)

Still awaiting decisions from supplier .

Says he will take the machine back and refund my purchase price , but I have spent so much time on this now and fixed a number of things , that i am reluctant to see that all go back to his benefit .
    Additionally he wont reduce his purchase price even though this "full working order" machine turned out to have a dead short, no spindle supply, faulty interlocks and suspected dead driver board.
    He maintains he is only obliged to give my money back , no obligation to pay me for work done , even though his "engineer " authorised it .

May have to start naming and shaming!
    Last edited by John11668; 16-09-2020 at 09:25 AM.

Right so not much further forward with supplier , and engineer seems to be struggling, but he confirms the machines do work on manual without computer connection or Boxford software.
    He is offering to exchange it for a TCL 160, with Turret, and all motions working for about £600 which would take my total expenditure to about £1150 but no account for any work I have done so far. Maybe a bit of haggling needed!
    I can see what folks are asking on Ebay but have no Idea what a reasonable value would be for such a machine. What do folks here think??

In addition and going back a few pages here, http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/13959...-TCL-125/page4 , on the pictures of the boards the processor board seems to have an empty slot , just above the one with the green lablel.
    Anyone think this might be significant?

Your call but if he has offered to take the machine back for a full refund then I would go with that.

Yes you have done quite some work but you've also learned a good deal. Perhaps going back into the market with all your funds intact, and knowing as much as you do now, particularly a little more about what to look out for, you will be able to decide whether buying from a dealer offers any advantages.

Quote Originally Posted by clutchslip View Post
    Your call but if he has offered to take the machine back for a full refund then I would go with that.

Yes you have done quite some work but you've also learned a good deal. Perhaps going back into the market with all your funds intact, and knowing as much as you do now, particularly a little more about what to look out for, you will be able to decide whether buying from a dealer offers any advantages.
    I think we have moved on a bit , Clutchslip.
    When I started this thread it was about whether I could make a decent project out of a TCL125 and what might be the best route for that bearing in mind it had been described as working when it wasnt..
    So the current offer is for a replacement of that with a TCL160, all motions working and including a turret for about £600 more . I am trying to get advice on whether this is a good deal, or do I stick with the 125, insist on a reduced price ( to finance the parts needed to make it work) and then embark on that as a project.

Seems to come down to whether a TCL160 with turret is good value at £1100 .

I would say it’s a fair value for tcl160

The decision really comes down to your needs. Is a turret tool changer on your list of nice to haves
    My person experience of cnc lathes (I have two a Boxford bud that I converted to cnc and an ORAC that I bought as a shell but in nice virtually unused condition and replaced all of the electronics) is that a good quality quick change tool post works well for me
    The auto tool changer are good but come with there own limitations so it’s not as clear cut as it would seem at first
    If you have a need to make hundreds of the same part then the auto tool changer is a must have but if you are mainly making 1 and 2offs then the manual quick change tool post is a better option if you are making 10 to 20 offs then personally I think the manual tool post is still the better solution
    I bought into the QCTP with the splined tool post Swiss made originally. It allows for very accurate tool positioning and takes a few seconds to change tools I have 10 tool holders all pre set with tools that are shared between the two lathes all tools being stored in the tool table in Linux cnc
    I can turn brass and ally and stainless steel all day long on the orac to tolerances of +/- 0.0005” and less with care. The tool repeatability is excellent

Also of note the 160 is a slightly larger machine than the 125 but from memory not my very much

Hope this gives you a little more info to base your decision on

One last thing to think about is the 160 working on original boxford electronics or has it been converted to modern drivers motion controller bob etc and if so is it locked to mach3 or open to other control software such as Linux cnc
    If still on boxford electronics then at some point in the future it is likely to need to be changed over to modern electronics (stepper drivers, BoB or motion controller etc

All the best. Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread Information