. .

Thread: Cncst4060

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    this is louise back and at this point very tempting

So, some of the bits of information that I'm thinking about:

Spindle On/Off appears to present power to the spindle motor. But also there's some current flow into the metallic frame of the machine - resulting in a light shock sensation. The VFD is indicating a fault with the motor drive output - notionally a short circuit, but it could be through a return earth.

I this point I'm reluctant to support you probing around because my thoughts are that the machine is electrically unsafe. There's an amount of testing you can do with the machine unplugged - but I need to ask if you have a DMM (multimeter) and are confident with the use of one. All testing will be done unpowered.

I blew my multi meter a few weeks ago and am confident using one , but i also remember when i removed the cover of the black box VFD to take photos to post i un plugged it from the mains supply but there was a red neon light flashing on the BOB even though there was no power lead connected and even after 30 minutes it was still flashing so i am now asking myself in the name of safety should i just write to the company and say replace the box as there is an issue of a thousand pounds exchanging hands. your thoughts would be appreciated on this

I think if that avenue is open, that would be an eminently sensible thing to do.

Explain the Error Code on the VFD and the shock experienced from touching the metalwork of the machine.

You could chase down the fault, replace bits, etc, but at the end of the day this is still the suppliers responsibility.

The red flashing neon (LED?) could be the BoB powering from the USB interface - if still connected to the computer. If so, I wouldn't worry too much and wouldn't pollute the conversation with the supplier with that bit of info.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by petesos View Post
    and i must add i can touch it with no probs but pete gets static from it
    Just goes to show that us blokes are more sensitive souls.

I keep throwing the radio into the wife's bath but she never feels a thing :-( Maybe I need new batteries.

Just done a personal test on the machine and results are as follows.

To start with everything was wired up when it arrived except i had to bolt on the stepper motors.

So with the machine turned ON and like i said i get static and a shock if i rub my arms on the bed

If i disconnect the spindle with the machine turned ON i get no static and no shock on my forearms.

So this would indicate to me that it must be a faulty spindle , so my question is would a faulty spindle with these issues give a code like we have been getting

Entirely possible. My thoughts are varied but includes insulation breakdown or stray wire from phase pin on the connector to the spindle housing.

I'd pull it apart, but I wouldn't recommend others to try.

The next test was to be a continuity test between the phase outputs on the VFD, then upstream to the spindle harness then the pins on the spindle, as well as a visual check on the terminal wiring but, again, I wouldn't recommend this if a replacement is an option.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    Just goes to show that us blokes are more sensitive souls.

I keep throwing the radio into the wife's bath but she never feels a thing :-( Maybe I need new batteries.

Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    Entirely possible. My thoughts are varied but includes insulation breakdown or stray wire from phase pin on the connector to the spindle housing.

I'd pull it apart, but I wouldn't recommend others to try.

The next test was to be a continuity test between the phase outputs on the VFD, then upstream to the spindle harness then the pins on the spindle, as well as a visual check on the terminal wiring but, again, I wouldn't recommend this if a replacement is an option.
    The Mrs will be using the machine a lot when i am at work and although its a temptation to let her carry on messing with it especially the 3 phase side
    i think its best to shut it down and request another spindle be sent .
    I truly thank you for all your help with this matter and i appreciate the input
    Thank you
    Thank you all
    Pete

that's a "Nowforever A100 series" VFD just had a quick look but the one sight that mentions they had it was down. I have the D100 series. hope this helps (PS was still looking but apparently rare)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Palletlad For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information