. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    I'd guess most VFDs will simply rely on the electronics to provide a lower voltage output, but regardless unless the motor is inverter rated (higher voltage insulation), then even a VFD running at rated voltage can cause insulation breakdown due to switching harmonics. You'd typically prevent that problem by adding a sine wave/sinusoidal filter after the VFD, however I'm not sure if you can get them designed for 110V.

Would I be right in guessing this lathe originally ran of normal 3 phase, and already has a step-down transformer for the turret?
    In which case, I'd look at using a boost VFD (230in 380out), and adding a sinewave filter if you're concerned about insulation issues (although the transformer will be the part likely to fail, as they are very unlikely to be inverter rated).
    you are correct, it originally had a fanuc 3t of 1985 vintage. the previous owner harvested it for spare motors and drives for another machine. so there isnt much left in the cabinet. i could give him a message and see if he knows although he may not have even considered it when pulling it apart. i might email baruffaldi again and try to get the full specs of the motor. maybe see what they recommend.

Do you have 3 phase power.? I think I've got a few transformers that I've stripped out of machines, most of them usually have a 110 winding.

I don't know this turret but how big a job would it be to replace the motor, or possibly fit a Servo.? You can get large servo's cheap enough.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

i don't have 3 phase, it would be simpler if i did. the motor is a small integrated motor similar in diameter to a round body nema 34.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	118602737_303659700934838_4079794328983189614_n.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	28805  

could convert it to servo or stepper operation. would be handy enough to machine an adaptor plate. would need to figure out the brake situation though.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnydeen View Post
    could convert it to servo or stepper operation. would be handy enough to machine an adaptor plate. would need to figure out the brake situation though.
    How does it brake now.? It's easy enough to get servos and steppers with a brake but I'm not sure they would hold a large turret good enough.?

there is a 24vdc brake on the motor
    i think i will just get a site 110v transformer and a 110v to 110v vfd, and brake resistor. unless baruffaldi enlighten me with a better option

Quote Originally Posted by jonnydeen View Post
    there is a 24vdc brake on the motor
    i think i will just get a site 110v transformer and a 110v to 110v vfd, and brake resistor. unless baruffaldi enlighten me with a better option
    You will get a Stepper or Servo with Brake cheaper than a site transformer and VFD.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    You will get a Stepper or Servo with Brake cheaper than a site transformer and VFD.
    thats a very valid point, and it might just be the way i go. if i cant find a better option soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information