. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Plastic nozzle, of course, which is looking a bit tatty now after a few years' use!
    How many shocks do you get off it. If I touch my pendant the static kills it.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 6 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,726. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Clive - never had a static shock off it. Vac hose is plastic, usual kind of thing. My pendant/MPG is wireless and hasn't given me a problem in the few years I've been using it. I am fairly sensitive to static-type charges and would chase it down if it happened - with a history of heart problems, I'm not keen on that kind of thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    Clive - never had a static shock off it. Vac hose is plastic, usual kind of thing. My pendant/MPG is wireless and hasn't given me a problem in the few years I've been using it. I am fairly sensitive to static-type charges and would chase it down if it happened - with a history of heart problems, I'm not keen on that kind of thing!
    Its probably because I use a dust commander so the hose is not connected to ground I will try it with a wire from the hose to ground.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by JAKET View Post
    A good practice exercise that will have all of the above plus more and will be useful is a Collet holder.
    If your feeling really confident instead of collet pockets with straight sides make the pockets tapered and use a 2.5D toolpath with a ball-nose cutter. Also, try putting chamfers on the edges.
    Why am I getting a DaJaVu feeling here.? . . . If you are going to post at least use your own words.!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pilsbury View Post
    You’ve just reminded me about another question! I’ve recently watched a YouTube vid about a bloke talking about the pros and cons of his small 60x90, medium 120x120 and large 120x240 machines. He surprised me when talking about their capabilities. All looked decent expensive machines but he said in the smaller and medium ones 1/4” bits in hardwood would struggle. Only in the big machine can you use them due to rigidity and spindle power. Suppose it depends on the machine, but they were branded gear which wouldn’t have been cheap.
    He's comparing apples with oranges when he's talking about industrial machines and to honest his idea of industrial and sturdy machine honestly isn't. That Sabre machine as so many weak areas in it's design it only just classes as industrial.

You won't have any trouble pushing a 12mm cutter thru most wood or manmade materials on a smaller properly built machine with a decent spindle. How deep and how fast is all that will change between industrial and hobby sized machines.

He's correct when he says most small machines can not cut at the correct feed rates which the manufacturers recommend but that doesn't mean they can't cut perfectly fine within the limits of the power of the spindle.
    Yes you won't be churning out the product by the 1000's per day but you can certainly produce enough to start a very healthy business, I've got dozens of customers using my small to medium machines that do just that.

To be honest, to cut correctly at optimum goes beyond just machine size, strength, or spindle power, Dust extraction also becomes massively important because cutting deeper and faster creates more waste material which if not evacuated fast enough becomes a problem quickly so huge dust extractors are required, then you have the explosive side of sawdust to deal with and so on.

Work holding goes to another level, Cutting deeper and faster creates more cutting pressure so holding force becomes massively important. Vacuum holding gets expensive very quickly, for instance, I've just a fit a 10Hp Vac pump that cost £5,500 and that's without the Bed and all the pipework ETC that goes with it. You don't get much change out of £8k for what is a relatively Average Vac setup, it's not uncommon to have 2 x 10Hp pumps working if cutting lots of smaller parts.
    Small or large work holding as to be done and you'll often find industrial machines that have undersized Vac systems using just the same work holding techniques that are used at hobby level, ie: Screws and double-sided tape or whatever gets the job done.
    I've got a friend who operates a 200K machine in a high volume furniture production environment and it's not uncommon for them to use Vac and double-sided tape because the 2 x 15Hp Vac pumps can't hold everything all of the time and the carnage that is caused if parts lets go and the 20HP spindle slings it across the building is a nightmare health and safety issue.

It's all about levels of Degree.!!.... These things also apply at the Hobby level just to a lower degree, it's still important to get the best from your cutter and machine but no so critical and much less forgiving.
    Don't stress over the machine it will do everything you want for a long time before you'll outgrow it and even then it won't be because it's underpowered, it's nearly always the size which people outgrow.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Removed.
    Last edited by Zorbit; 27-09-2020 at 02:13 PM.

Brilliant info all. Thanks for replying.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information