. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hello !
    I am in the design phase of my new CNC machine. I am aming to 120x60 cm working area, And most of my milling will be in Aluminum, Brass, And some steel!
    The frame will be epoxy granite and a welded laser cut steel skeleton inside.
    I prototyped 2 design to choose from, Here's my 2 prototypes
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cncframes.png 
Views:	921 
Size:	148.4 KB 
ID:	28848

I really like the U base design (#1) its easy to enclose & Chip control is great.
    But, Is the design #2 stiffer?
    Which one should I go to ?

Thank you all in advance (:
    Last edited by EZELab; 14-09-2020 at 11:45 AM.

I can't help but think that you would get better results with both designs if you rotate your working area by 90 degrees to minimise the gantry length.

Quote Originally Posted by Voicecoil View Post
    I can't help but think that you would get better results with both designs if you rotate your working area by 90 degrees to minimise the gantry length.
    Thank you for your addition. I'll think about this.

Why put a steel skeleton inside?

If the steel is for stiffness it is better to put it outside. Material at or close to the neutral axis does very little for stiffness.

Save the money you would spend on laser cut steel and put it into more epoxy granite for bigger sections.

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post

If the steel is for stiffness it is better to put it outside. Material at or close to the neutral axis does very little for stiffness.

Save the money you would spend on laser cut steel and put it into more epoxy granite for bigger sections.
    Are your sure about that ?
    Sure I'll put steel outside for screwing and rails, ballscrews .. etc.
    Epoxy granite alone is that stiff for a large machine ?

Lives in Derbyshire  UK, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 19 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 295. Received thanks 28 times, giving thanks to others 13 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post

How do you arrive at that thinking? most things have the skeleton inside for strength of the main structure and appearance there would be very little point of having steel outside of Epoxy granite other than to cut down on resonance of a steel box frame you could fill the box with epoxy.

Phill

Edit: I would be tempted to go for No2 image

7. The Following User Says Thank You to phill05 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by phill05 View Post
    Edit: I would be tempted to go for No2 image
    Thank you for your replay.
    Yes, design #2 have many Advantages, Easier to align, Easier to machine flat, uses 3 motor not 4.
    But will it add any more stiffness more than the #1 design ?

Lives in Derbyshire  UK, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 19 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 295. Received thanks 28 times, giving thanks to others 13 times.
    I believe it will, a fixed gantry has got to be more stable than a moving mass gantry, the only thing is you need more room for the moving table.
    I have a fixed gantry and no problem at all.

Phill

10. The Following User Says Thank You to phill05 For This Useful Post:

Removed.
    Last edited by Zorbit; 27-09-2020 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorbit View Post
    Pippin is correct. That's why a piece of box section steel is stiffer than the same amount of steel in solid rod form. It's a cube law - the stiffness is proportional to the cube of the thickness.

Beware of mixing materials with such differing properties, you may end up with a structure that performs worse than either would on their own.
    Did you not read the OP's post "The frame will be epoxy granite and a welded laser cut steel skeleton inside" you would not cast an epoxy granite frame then clad it outside with steel Box section Box section was not questioned totally different build.
    Come on!!!

Take a look at this project: https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/for....asp?th=139042

Phill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information