. .
    I currently have this, more suction than a hooker. Does exact what it's supposed to do, just very loudly!

It's like a fooking jet engine, I'm sure my neighbours hate it. Book says 80db

Are there any quiter options?

I have mine in the room next door with the 4inch suction pipe going to the wall and a smaller pipe on the other side. It helps keep the volume down except the occasions where I am working in the room where the extractor is but it is only used in short bursts there.

If you can find an industrial one that uses a side channel pump rather than the usual howling high speed series wound motor it will be a lot quieter. And unless you get lucky with a preowned one, a lot more expensive

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Dust extractors are noisy, just some more than others.

Best option is box it off and soundproof it with suitable vents directed to where they'll cause the least annoyance.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

I was worried about noise upsetting the neighbours so I'm moving 5000Km to a new shed in the middle of 2 acres. Might not be an option for everyone though.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Lives in Swansea, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 22-05-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 61. Received thanks 10 times, giving thanks to others 9 times.
    You could try a fan/duct silencer on the exhaust pipe of your dust extractor.
    This type of thing: https://www.justfans.co.uk/silencers-c-35.html

More seriously:

When I was looking for ways to soundproof my extractor I did some Googling and found this video on YouTube. I've just managed to find it again. If you don't want to spend the time watching it, the conclusion is that layers of ordinary towels fixed to wooden frames proved surprisingly better at soundproofing ( the authors video-making studio in practice) than genuine acoustic foam. I haven't actually followed up on this so cannot confirm his results but it looks fairly convincing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pABvTWSxOes&pp=QAA%3D
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kitwn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kitwn View Post
    More seriously:

When I was looking for ways to soundproof my extractor I did some Googling and found this video on YouTube. I've just managed to find it again. If you don't want to spend the time watching it, the conclusion is that layers of ordinary towels fixed to wooden frames proved surprisingly better at soundproofing ( the authors video-making studio in practice) than genuine acoustic foam. I haven't actually followed up on this so cannot confirm his results but it looks fairly convincing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pABvTWSxOes&pp=QAA%3D
    It'll depend a lot on what sort of foam, and how it's mounted; it always tends to work better with an air gap behind it. And also on the character (frequency spectrum) of the noise. If I was trying to silence something like an extractor I'd put it in a rigid box with the input hose coming through a sealed entrance and the output air having to take a zig-zag path through staggered baffles covered in good acoustic foam or Rockwool depending on the character of the noise.

Thread Information