. .
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    My mate who owns the machine would have liked the ability to use the controller readouts as a DRO for manual operation with the table handwheels. It looks at first sight as if you would need to hack into the cables or connectors to provide this capability.
    Maybe not as bad as he thinks because the hand wheels would make tuning the servos a nightmare, better off without them and use the MPG. But it wouldn't be a massive job to hook them up. Thou to be honest with all the cables they stuff into those DB connectors I wouldn't like to to remove the covers.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Good point - I'll tell him to take off the handwheels and learn to use the MPG. He's only used the machine in manual mode because of issues with the original Anilam controller but that did provide a DRO function so conventional use was straightforward.

You mention servo tuning. I have a copy of the SZGH servo tuning application, but they have confirmed that it is only available in Chinese. I've had a quick look but I really couldn't get very far at all with it. Have you looked at servo tuning with these SZGH setups?

You can do just as good a job translating the document yourself as they would. After all, they just use Baidu Translate themselves, which is very much like Google Translate.

If you have the document in Word format, you can right click almost anywhere in the document and select "Translate". You may need a recent version of Word for this - I have Office 365. Select the whole document from the options and there you are. I'm pretty impressed with the Microsoft translation. You can also paste selected paragraphs into Google Translate for a second opinion if the result is a bit hard to follow.

If you only have a PDF version of the document, you can use Adobe's free online PDF-to-Word converter and it will do a pretty good job. It will usually cope well with tables, illustrations, formatting etc. I've done this with several foreign PDF docs recently (Chinese and German) and am surprised how well they work nowadays. Only 2-3 years ago it was a lot more painful, with somewhat more "mixed" results.

As Jazz says, the handwheels can screw up your servo tuning. I removed mine in the end, 'cos it was impossible to get sensible / acceptable behaviour from my DMMs otherwise. And the MPG is much more useful - you can position the handwheel where it is most convenient (eg during touchoff) and you can also change how much movement you get when you turn the wheel.

Good thought, Muzzer, although it's slightly more awkward than that. There isn't any documentation as such, it's just an applicaiton that is all in Chinese. You can guess a couple of the usual menu items based on position, and I did find one entry that gave me a COM port prompt, but that's as far as it goes! I'll need to look at whether I can extract the symbols from the app itself and translate those. It sounds like Chaz, Dean and I are all in roughly the same position - controller and servos/drivers all set up on the bench (or coffee table, in my case) so not in a position to actually do any tuning at the moment. So fingers crossed that a translated version will turn up before we actually need it!

Good thought, Muzzer, although it's slightly more awkward than that. There isn't any documentation as such, it's just an applicaiton that is all in Chinese. You can guess a couple of the usual menu items based on position, and I did find one entry that gave me a COM port prompt, but that's as far as it goes! I'll need to look at whether I can extract the symbols from the app itself and translate those. It sounds like Chaz, Dean and I are all in roughly the same position - controller and servos/drivers all set up on the bench (or coffee table, in my case) so not in a position to actually do any tuning at the moment. So fingers crossed that a translated version will turn up before we actually need it!
    Clive S gave me a good tip.? Use your mobile phone and a translate App. Just point camera at the screen and it will translate all the writing.
    I've used this several times now and it works great. Infact that's what I did when I screwed up the parameters in the controller and turned them all back to Chinese and couldn't read the parameter description.

Regards the tuning then No I'm not at that stage, I'm waiting for you to suss it out first...

Never come across an app like that - I'll give it a try and see where it gets me. I'm sure that all the usual translators can handle the chinese characters for things like "PID internal loop parameters"! I'm sure that it's worth a go, though, just to get to the right menu items.

Thanks for the pointer. It's not all just a North-South slanging match

Thanks for the pointer. It's not all just a North-South slanging match
    Not at all, I even speak to Clive-S and he's on the other side of the Big Hill in Red Rose county, the place a true Yorkshireman's arch-enemy lives...

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 18 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Not at all, I even speak to Clive-S and he's on the other side of the Big Hill in Red Rose county, the place a true Yorkshireman's arch-enemy lives...
    That's only because I send him PG Tips
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Try Google Translate - I assume that's what Jazz is referring to. When you select the camera icon, it will recognise and translate any Chinese characters and replace them live on the screen. I've used this quite extensively in China (was surprised they hadn't blocked it - perhaps it was working offline) and it certainly came in handy. The translation seemed to vary depending how close you held the camera (how large the characters) and some of the results were pretty amusing!

You can also use the microphone for input but you might run the risk of getting punched, molested or arrested, depending where you use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    That's only because I send him PG Tips
    He can be a bit of a monkey at times
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information