. .
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    So started to look at the lathe in a bit more detail today.

The servo motors will be a direct fit exchange, courtesy of some spacers that Gary had already made. I'm not sure if the cables can be routed without taking connectors off (motor and encoder).

The spindle pulley wont work for the new spindle motor. Shaft size is now 38mm whereas on the old DC motor its around 36mm (or the nearest imperial size to that).

Found a replacement pulley / bushing which should work.

Was trying to remove the spindle 'mounting' system, removed all bolts, cant get it out. There's clearly some adhesive in places like a sealant, could be that. I'm hopeful making a adapter plate for the slightly smaller motor should be straight forward - just need to get one of my mills up and running.

I'd like to replace the V belts - any idea on how much work is involved to get them out - do I need to mess with the spindle (hopefully not).

Was fortunate to find a wiring diagram (and some notes) in the door, thanks Gary. Was looking for the limits / end stop but not found them yet - at least the drawing gives a massive help as wires / terminal blocks are marked. I believe these are all hall effect sensors so need to work out how to wire them up. I note too that there is X Coarse Home and X Fine Home marked in pencil, first time Ive seen that ..... will need to work out how to use these.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HL1.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	239.2 KB 
ID:	29299Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HL2.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	298.6 KB 
ID:	29300Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HL3.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	162.1 KB 
ID:	29301Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HL4.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	160.4 KB 
ID:	29302Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HL5.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	226.5 KB 
ID:	29303Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HL6.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	29304Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HL7.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	29305Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HL8.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	197.7 KB 
ID:	29306Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HL9.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	220.5 KB 
ID:	29307

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quick update - built a temp box out of ply for the controller + MPG plate. Opened up the cover for the encoder and noted that the limits are not hall effect, took a quick video, there is a cam system depressing the limits.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Enc1.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	136.8 KB 
ID:	29321Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Box1.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	222.9 KB 
ID:	29322

So I got 3 of the hall effects working for the X axis.

The Z axis has proximity sensors that didnt look to be working. So I replaced with these.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/proxi...nsors/1885225/

These allow reconfig from PNP to NPN etc. Ive tried them in PNP, controller doesnt like it and the engineering team tell me I cant use them in PNP mode. So reconfig the sensors .... ok, but I need something called IO Link which I dont have and looks to be pricy.

These sensors looked decent and they are short - I dont have a lot of space where they fit (probably 40mm max).

Parameter 21 and 22 (axis menu from memory) allows a change from NO to NC, but the engineer reckons that wont allow PNP to be used.

He has also suggested using a 2803 IC to swap the PNP to NPN, so this might be a cheaper option (not ideal).

Thoughts?

I've ordered this - suggests it can take PNP to NPN, so a quick (almost cheap) fix if it works.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Converter-M...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    What is the actual input needed for the controller?
    PNP switches to positive, whereas NPN switched to negative.

If the input requires being switched to negative, then PNP won't work, but if the input lets you wire both sides of an opto, then either can work.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

It needs to draw down to 0V to trigger. Ive ordered that conversion board, hopefully that works.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Yeah, that'll need a NPN type input.
    That board should do what you need.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    So, first impression of the kit is good. I agree with JazzCNC, the cabling is good quality and nice to see that its all included. There is also a dedicated turret input for an 'up to 8 way' location which is helpful.

I wasnt aware of the IO board, pity, would have ordered one but will manage without or get one at a stage.

I managed to get one of the motors connected and running. Was getting errors but didnt have a manual for the servo driver but was sent this over the weekend and it looks like it might just have been a connection issue to the encoder.

On the turret side, they will help write the macro once I explain the tool change logic. On the Hardinge theres a few solenoids but nothing odd as such. Fortunately Centroid have published a retrofit document for their kit which is useful and can be modified for use for this implementation.
    If you have not made an IO board yet i think it is well worth the money to buy theirs, it will save a lot of work. I think they are about £50. It reduces the chance of damaging the controller by incorrect wiring, the instructions are in English.although i had to ask for the pdf instructions because the one included in the manual was incorrect. I can send a pdf copy of the I/o manual if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Barron View Post
    If you have not made an IO board yet i think it is well worth the money to buy theirs, it will save a lot of work. I think they are about £50. It reduces the chance of damaging the controller by incorrect wiring, the instructions are in English.although i had to ask for the pdf instructions because the one included in the manual was incorrect. I can send a pdf copy of the I/o manual if you wish.
    Thanks. I wasnt aware of the IO Board when I ordered. I'm probably going to get another servo drive / motor from them for my Bridgeport to run as a Spindle, so will add that to the order.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Thanks. I wasnt aware of the IO Board when I ordered. I'm probably going to get another servo drive / motor from them for my Bridgeport to run as a Spindle, so will add that to the order.

Thanks
    The i/o board has labels options pnp/npn jumper options which may sort out prox types. Another option if you are using an automatic tool changer (see hoods videos on you tube) is to use a separate controller.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information