. .
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,601. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Thanks. Ye the newer manual uses E codes, the older (which applies to mine) uses P codes.

Ive spotted that the unit might need external 24V. I dont think this is the case with mine as it has a connector going back to the SZGH control panel where it has 24V available. That said, Ive asked them to see. If there is no 24V that might explain it too but not sure where I apply it as there are no power connectors apart from 2 spare solder points (3 - one is not tinned) in the cannon jack. That wire (the untinned one) does not have a partner on the plug, so I'm wondering if that might be where 24V is inserted. Doesnt sound practical, who knows ....

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Do you have an oscilloscope?
    That would be a sure fire way to find out if the encoder is working or not.

Failing that, you could test using a multimeter connected across the encoder pairs (A+/-, then B+/-, then make sure there is at least power on the Z+/- as stopping on the Z pulse will be near impossible) and randomly positioning the motor to see if the voltages invert. That at least tells you the encoder is doing something.
    And if your multimeter has frequency measuring capability, you could spin the motor and see if if you get a plausible frequency reading.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,601. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Do you have an oscilloscope?
    That would be a sure fire way to find out if the encoder is working or not.

Failing that, you could test using a multimeter connected across the encoder pairs (A+/-, then B+/-, then make sure there is at least power on the Z+/- as stopping on the Z pulse will be near impossible) and randomly positioning the motor to see if the voltages invert. That at least tells you the encoder is doing something.
    And if your multimeter has frequency measuring capability, you could spin the motor and see if if you get a plausible frequency reading.
    I dont sadly, but Ill measure with what I have. I know you can get cheap scopes for basic testing, maybe that's a plan.

Nothing like spotting something, heading to the garage after 10pm, trying something, it fails, but then you see the cable that you fixed earlier still disconnected. You connect it up, you rerun the change / test and it all works.

So here's a clue as to what the issue was (clearly the broken wire was also an issue).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X5P1.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	158.6 KB 
ID:	30621

Name:	X5P2.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	30622

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I'm sorry, but I've got to say it.
    Idiot!

But it just proves, always check the basics.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

So the cable marked with X5 DOES NOT GO into the X5P.

It goes into X2A.

I spotted in the manual that X5P = encoder OUTPUT, so I investigated further. X2A it is. I'm not sure why there is an X5 number on the cable.

The other X5 cable (X51) is also marked X5 and goes there ....

Anyways.

In fairness, there was a wire off as well, so more than 1 problem it seems.

So, progress. Started to rewire and tidy up the cabinet.

First test cut (well, 2nd), - ignore the birds nesting, bad feeds / speeds.

I need to work out why the spindle override is being ignored too. Speeds are being set by G50 S2000 etc. Need to see the details behind this, I'm using the Fanuc Post Processor.

And then a pic, I missed facing it fully but you get the idea, really happy with this.

Name:	HCut.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	30638

Have I got my wires crossed.? I thought you bought the Spindle motor from SZGH same as I did. If so the drive is just a large servo drive so why are you using a VFD.?
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Have I got my wires crossed.? I thought you bought the Spindle motor from SZGH same as I did. If so the drive is just a large servo drive so why are you using a VFD.?
    I have only single phase. So I am making 3 Phase with a VFD, through a choke which then feeds the spindle drive.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread Information