. .
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    I have only single phase. So I am making 3 Phase with a VFD, through a choke which then feeds the spindle drive.
    Ok, I get it now.

If it's any consolation I did the same with the X5 cable, the markings are clear as Mud.!
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Ok, I get it now.

If it's any consolation I did the same with the X5 cable, the markings are clear as Mud.!
    Ye, generally its decent in terms of cabling and quality. One broken wire and the assumption about the labelling.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    I adjusted the shape a bit and redid the CAM. I did trip the supplying VFD so had to slow down the ramp on the spindle which seems to have helped.

Hi Chaz

I am really interested in understanding the kit you have used to upgrade these really good but slow and unreliable machines.

I have had about 5 CHNCs over the years, cannibalising the old AB controls to keep just one running.

I know have one in the graveyard and one that is a really good condition machine with a dead AB control that I really have given up on.

I have been looking to buy the Centroid upgrade kit but it is so difficult thinking about spending such a lot of money on what is a very old machine.

The problem I have is that I like the precision and the 5c collets and the special collects I have developed for various jobs.

I can't justify buying a new CNC (I have a 1988 Mazak QT15N for the bigger, faster work).

I don't run my machines on a 24/7 basis - they owe me nothing and I just use them when I need to make various components for my products we sell.

So seeing that someone so recently is doing exactly what I would love to do has prompted me to join the forum and ask if you can share your experience so that I might have another look at doing the same to save my old but loved CHNC.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Fairmount View Post
    Hi Chaz

I am really interested in understanding the kit you have used to upgrade these really good but slow and unreliable machines.

I have had about 5 CHNCs over the years, cannibalising the old AB controls to keep just one running.

I know have one in the graveyard and one that is a really good condition machine with a dead AB control that I really have given up on.

I have been looking to buy the Centroid upgrade kit but it is so difficult thinking about spending such a lot of money on what is a very old machine.

The problem I have is that I like the precision and the 5c collets and the special collects I have developed for various jobs.

I can't justify buying a new CNC (I have a 1988 Mazak QT15N for the bigger, faster work).

I don't run my machines on a 24/7 basis - they owe me nothing and I just use them when I need to make various components for my products we sell.

So seeing that someone so recently is doing exactly what I would love to do has prompted me to join the forum and ask if you can share your experience so that I might have another look at doing the same to save my old but loved CHNC.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Paul
    Hi Paul

Indeed, good machines once you can get rid of the old controllers (like many things). A lot of detail to consider, should I just PM you my number? Easier to talk through however in summary, I'd probably do the same again if I needed to. Once you understand these 'not pc controlled' controllers, they are fairly straight forward.

A key question however is then if you are replacing everything such as motors and how much of the original interlocking do you need (for example, I can have door alarms etc) however if I want to have a condition such as the spindle lock being detected to stop the spindle running, that needs some coding / considering.

Charl

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Hi Paul

Indeed, good machines once you can get rid of the old controllers (like many things). A lot of detail to consider, should I just PM you my number? Easier to talk through however in summary, I'd probably do the same again if I needed to. Once you understand these 'not pc controlled' controllers, they are fairly straight forward.

A key question however is then if you are replacing everything such as motors and how much of the original interlocking do you need (for example, I can have door alarms etc) however if I want to have a condition such as the spindle lock being detected to stop the spindle running, that needs some coding / considering.

Charl
    Hi Chaz

Yes please - I would like to chat this through.

[email protected]

Just tried to call, was told you arent in. Ill email you now with my mobile number.

Interesting thread.
    Yesterday I visited a customer, and expect to refit 1, later 2, larger (2.5 m long carriage) lathes with industrial quality retrofits.

The budget is likely to be around 15k, 18k with glass scales and or better screws.
    Probably cslabs csmio-ips, and their sw, or maybe machx.

A 3 m long, 40 mm D screw, ground, c1-c3-c5 is not cheap.
    Around 1 kW servos, x, y, maybe c (like mine), maybe B (tailstock).
    The client is ready and has the will and the moolah, so ...

Itīs possible, perhaps likely, I can publish the refit.

The client is urgently looking for a big heavy large lathe we can do this on.
    First xyc(b), and soonish linear guides (35 mm+) on all axes.

Very Large Lathes tend to be cheap, and are good moneymakers.
    When no-one else nearby can do 50-60 cm diameter pieces, or shafts 3.5 m long.

Personally (and this is just my view), I'd not touch another CS Labs setup. I still have it on my one mill, its fussy, Ive had issues seeing the controller, firmware bugs etc.

Hello and sorry to revive an old thread, but I have a question about the original decision to replace the spindle motor.

Did you decide to replace because it was 3ph and you wanted to be able to operate from 1ph, or was there a problem being able to operated and control the original spindle drive from the new control?

I have a somewhat newer 1985 CHNC II with a GN10 control I would like to retrofit, but would rather leave the original spindle motor and drive if possible.

Thanks Gary Breiling

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information