. .

Thread: New Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi and thanks for allowing me to join your forum.
    I work in a general fabrication and repair workshop and we have recently purchased an ESCCO Pro Cut cnc Plasma table.
    My big hobby is photography and I would like to be able to convert some of my images into files suitable to be cut on the plasma table.
    I have access to photoshop, inkscape and cut 2d pro but am lacking the knowledge to pick the correct program for the task.
    Hoping that someone can point an old guy in the right direction!
    Thanks in advance
    David

Hi David,

Well you have the best tools for the job with both photoshop and inkscape. Either will allow you to trace a Bit map and turn it into vector graphics which you can export as a DXF file that you'll need for Plasma Cam software. I've never used Cut2D but I'm pretty sure it won't work for Plasma.

SheetCam is what I use for plasma. My process goes something like this.

If I need to trace a image like a photo then I'll use Inkscape which I then turn into a DXF, I then load this into SheetCam to create the toolpaths and G-code file.

If it's a part I need to cut which as been drawn in Cad package, in my case Solidworks I'll export the part or sketch out as DXF which then goes straight into Sheet Cam for toolpaths. . . . . Which I was actually doing before I got distracted with this...Lol
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Hi JAZZCNC,

Thanks for replying,
    I forgot to mention that we also have sheetcam, so I have converted a couple of brackets etc into files for cutting.
    I tried again tonight adding a logo into cut2dpro and the image was pretty rough, so I converted to svg file then opened in cut2dpro and now the image looks so much smoother than before.
    When I have the logo open I highlight it and then go to add vectors, but I don't seem to be able to add the vectors, so that if I save the logo as a dxf file, sheet cam doesn't recognise it because of the lack of vectors (Ithink..lol)

David

Ok well here's a little trick I do to quickly get Vectors from things like logo images etc in Inkscape when I don't want to trace around things.

Import the image then create a new layer and call it something like vectors. Next, select the Fill bounded area's tool, the icon looks like a pouring bucket, and click on the logo or the areas you want to turn into vectors. Set a small fill Stroke something like 0.1mm as it will add this around the area.

Now on your Vector layer when you click on it with the select tool you'll see it says something like "84 nodes in layer vector".
    If you turn off the vector layer and use the select tool on layer 1 you'll see it says something like "Image 1050x 1250 embedded in layer 1". This is your original image without vectors which you don't need anymore so now turn the Vector layer back on and turn off Layer1.

Now you can just save this as a DXF and away you go, this will load straight into sheet cam. It's very easy and quick.

I was chatting with Elon Musk the other day, he said he had a few issues with one of his rocket engines and did I know anyone who could help? I told him to PM Jazzcnc.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitwn View Post
    I was chatting with Elon Musk the other day, he said he had a few issues with one of his rocket engines and did I know anyone who could help? I told him to PM Jazzcnc.
    Ah ah very funny, and not as unlikely as you may realise.? Over the years I've helped people from all walks of life with advice about CNC and on two occasions I've helped guys who work with rockets, one worked for NASA and the other designed guidance systems for missiles, who my son that was around 14 at the time, now 25, and very impressed, quickly nicknamed them both Rocket man and Missile man.!!. . So ya never now...

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Ah ah very funny, and not as unlikely as you may realise.? Over the years I've helped people from all walks of life with advice about CNC and on two occasions I've helped guys who work with rockets, one worked for NASA and the other designed guidance systems for missiles, who my son that was around 14 at the time, now 25, and very impressed, quickly nicknamed them both Rocket man and Missile man.!!. . So ya never now...
    I'll tell Elon next time I see him in the pub
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Also if you have a look at doubleboost’s YouTube channel he sometimes shows plasma cutting parts and IIRC used sheet cam. I’m sure in one of them he used an onboard camera system to scan an outline of a part (ER collet wrench?) so must have done something to convert that image.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

9. The Following User Says Thank You to routercnc For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    Also if you have a look at doubleboost’s YouTube channel he sometimes shows plasma cutting parts and IIRC used sheet cam. I’m sure in one of them he used an onboard camera system to scan an outline of a part (ER collet wrench?) so must have done something to convert that image.
    SheetCam have a program called Scan anything which works with Mach3 and eding CNC and uses a camera to Scan the profile of a shape. It basically uses the camera to drive the machine and looks at the contrast difference, when it's finished it produces a G-code file.

Just realised that I was trying to add vectors to an SVG file, which I'm assuming I don't need to do?
    Going back to the start, I have
    used photoshop to alter a logo so that it can be cut without the centre falling out
    then used inkscape to create an SVG file which has much smoother lines.
    when I open in cut2dpro, how do I add the cutting nodes to the SVG file? to then export as a DXF file?

Please excuse my ignorance, I'm probably missing something obvious here.

Tried to carry out jazzcnc's litttle trick, but just couldn't get it to work out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information