. .

Thread: Fusion 360 news

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 15 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    I know many of you use Fusion 360. In my opinion Lars Christensen is the go to guy for tuition

The link below is a talk from him to try and clear up the confusion with the recent changes to the licence conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

I'm expecting a few weeks/months of having more spare time than I'm used to in the near future and finally mastering F360 (as well as thumb independence) is on my ToDo list. Nothing I saw here puts me off that idea.

The comments are interesting, ranging from those who are comforted by the explanation and think the changes reasonable to those who probably believe that COVID-19 is fake and a global conspiracy by the big banks.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Lives in Leeds, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-12-2022 Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 116. Received thanks 16 times, giving thanks to others 21 times.
    At the moment I'm not paying them a single bit of what money I have for their software until I can clearly see what they have removed/restricted as I'm still yet to truly understand how much it's going to impact me regards to the simulation and tool changes. Absolutely love using it but not too happy regards to what they may do in the future, I totally understand they are actively trying to stop the abuse side from companies using the personal use for commercial gain.

There is 40% discount for a limited time also.
    Last edited by m.i.k.e; 27-09-2020 at 12:49 AM.

I *think* I have grandfather rights on F360, at least for now, through an Eagle subscription. I don't care for some of the CAM changes creeping through, though I can understand the rationale behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobC View Post
    At the moment I'm not paying them a single bit of what money I have for their software until I can clearly see what they have removed/restricted as I'm still yet to truly understand how much it's going to impact me regards to the simulation and tool changes. Absolutely love using it but not too happy regards to what they may do in the future, I totally understand they are actively trying to stop the abuse side from companies using the personal use for commercial gain.
    Rob,
    I thought the whole point of Lars video and the comments from the interviewee was to confirm that you will still not have to pay them any money for all the functions that you will reasonably need as a hobbyist. They pointed out that the simulation of the tool path in the CAM module is not removed and you can still manually edit the G-code to add tool changes, which shouldn't be a serious bind for someone who is not on a tight production schedule.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Lives in Leeds, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-12-2022 Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 116. Received thanks 16 times, giving thanks to others 21 times.
    What they determine as a hobbyist though isn't always what some of us on here would agree with, quite a lot of people have been saying because we build our own machines and have auto tool changers because we have gone to the bother of learning and making the mechanisms we are now not under the hobbyist tag which I do not agree with. I'm stuck at the moment with not trusting them till I actually can experience what is missing and what I may have to pay for.

The original posts did include that simulation was being removed but didn't exclusively say which it was i.e the stress sim or the cam sim. I've experienced this before and paid for a premium subscription when I didn't need to so I hope you understand why I'm being very sceptical of what is going on and what is being said.

Lives in Lytham St. Annes, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 15 Hours Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 412. Received thanks 59 times, giving thanks to others 10 times.
    I can't figure out if my just-finished 4th axis is actually going to be able to do anything now. The Fusion sales team seem so excited by thoughts of what they will spend their forthcoming performance bonuses on that they can't seem to explain what's in and what's out on multi axis - and what requires those damned extension things we can't afford.

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 23 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,725. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    As far as I can see, the free licence gives you 3-axis CAM. The paid licence says "3+2 and 5-axis" CAM - as per the version we are currently using. I'm more concerned about the loss o G0 and M6, but then, I don't have a 4th axis...

Lives in Lytham St. Annes, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 15 Hours Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 412. Received thanks 59 times, giving thanks to others 10 times.
    It does say something like that but it also says something bizarre like 4 axis simultaneous being in the extension. Quite why you'd get 5 axis simultaneous in the paid version and have to buy extensions for 4 axis is beyond me. I'm sure the prat who wrote it knew what he meant.

I forget the exact wording and I can't be arsed to follow the hullabulloo. However, the wording was as clear as mud (hence the comment) and I doubt I'd get any sort of answer if I asked. I may have to see about using DeskProto or FeeCAD at this rate. Let's see what we have when the storm has blown over.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information