. .

Thread: Touch screen??

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by John11668 View Post
    Ouch.

Is it forgivable if they are your nearest source of kit?
    Go on then I'll let you off this time, plus I only said it to see how long it would take Clive S to bite and make sure the all-seeing eye was on his toes...
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

I have come to realise that the Chinese mini-lathe is basically a set of parts from which it is possible to construct a usable lathe if you put in enough time and effort. It's the old triangle of COST, TIME, QUALITY. Fix one and the other two are inversely proportional. I couldn't afford even a Myford anyway. Retirement is getting closer (I now know the address of my future 6m sq workshop in Tasmania) so I might get to begin work on it sometime next year.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Go on then I'll let you off this time, plus I only said it to see how long it would take Clive S to bite and make sure the all-seeing eye was on his toes...
    Yes we have to keep an eye on you to keep you in check.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kitwn View Post
    I have come to realise that the Chinese mini-lathe is basically a set of parts from which it is possible to construct a usable lathe if you put in enough time and effort. It's the old triangle of COST, TIME, QUALITY. Fix one and the other two are inversely proportional. I couldn't afford even a Myford anyway. Retirement is getting closer (I now know the address of my future 6m sq workshop in Tasmania) so I might get to begin work on it sometime next year.
    Is the working population of Australia , progressively retiring to Tasmania??

I suppose there are few decent british lathes coming available there, so you need to trade with near neighbours and then try to make a silk purse .

I never thought much of Myford though and cant see why they have such high asking prices.
    For a well equipped and compact lathe I would have gone for Boxford AUD but even they are now so sought after that their prices are overtaking Myford, Even the poorly equipped TUD models are probably a better platform on which to build a CNC version.

MY Bantam is too precious to break down though. I couldnt be without it for the months it would take me to convert and get used to using.

So Back to my TCL so I can try to make it work reasonably.
    Last edited by John11668; 05-10-2020 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John11668 View Post
    Is the working population of Australia , progressively retiring to Tasmania??
    Quite a few of us. Having suffered 12 summers with New Year temperatures around 45C and the property prices still (for a short while anyway) being so low if you avoid Hobart it's the perfect place for us. Tasmania is a bit like the England you wish England was like.

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

So what I take from this is that touch screens and Dedicated controllers all have some issues which could add complications to my TCL conversion. And I dont need those at this stage.
    So back to that thread. My thoughts are to get the machine working on a software I am familiar with, then convert to a better software for lathe.
    Keyboard options are in the future at this stage but thanks to all for your thoughts.

John,
    You don't have to use the latest technology, but you should always use an appropriate technology. Sometimes there's no substitute for a real button with real wires.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information