. .
    I am really tempted to buy a Mechatron STC-80 ATC adaptor for my router.

https://www.mechatron-gmbh.de/en/products/stc-series/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	csm_STC-Aufbau_ENG_367x474_2fff7d84cf.png 
Views:	200 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	28926

However, it's a pricy part and I'm worried I don't have the knowledge and experience to get t up and running.

Has anybody got one of these working with one of the Chinese 2KW spindles and Mach 3??

How much is it.?

What scares you about it.? I would imagine the fitting is easy enough. The tool change macro side is a little more involved but it's not rocket science and setting up in Mach3 is easy.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    How much is it.?

What scares you about it.? I would imagine the fitting is easy enough. The tool change macro side is a little more involved but it's not rocket science and setting up in Mach3 is easy.
    Sorry I didn't reply sooner. The ATC unit is 755 Euros. They also do a spindle with ATC as a set for 3000 Euros.

The thing which scares me is mostly the complication of getting all the little bits working together. Adding relay controlled pneumatics, adding a tool holder, telling Mach 3 the location of the tools, probing Z height. I also worry about things like getting the tool to insert reliably each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenson View Post
    Sorry I didn't reply sooner. The ATC unit is 755 Euros. They also do a spindle with ATC as a set for 3000 Euros.

The thing which scares me is mostly the complication of getting all the little bits working together. Adding relay controlled pneumatics, adding a tool holder, telling Mach 3 the location of the tools, probing Z height. I also worry about things like getting the tool to insert reliably each time.
    I wouldn't pay 750 euros for that and certainly wouldn't pay 3000. For $2000 you'll get a proper BT30 ATC spindle with tool holders from China.

Controlling them isn't difficult but does require you have plenty of spare I/O. The pneumatics are simple to install and control, it's no more different than controlling a VFD for start stop, you are just controlling outputs at the correct time.

Regards the Mach 3 then you just set the I/O pins for each function, and setup the tool table with the length of tools in the holders. All the magic happens in the M6 tool change macro.
    It's in here that you set the location and distance between tools, among other things needed to change tools, when it's all finished with changing tools another macro or bit of code gets executed to probe tool height if needed. However, because all the tools are set in holders you only really need to do this if you break a tool.

The M6 macro is the hardest bit but still it's not rocket science.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 10-10-2020 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    I wouldn't pay 750 euros for that and certainly wouldn't pay 3000. For $2000 you'll get a proper BT30 ATC spindle with tool holders from China.

Controlling them isn't difficult but does require you have plenty of spare I/O. The pneumatics are simple to install and control, it's no more different than controlling a VFD for start stop, you are just controlling outputs at the correct time.

Regards the Mach 3 then you just set the I/O pins for each function, and setup the tool table with the length of tools in the holders. All the magic happens in the M6 tool change macro.
    It's in here that you set the location and distance between tools, among other things needed to change tools, when it's all finished with changing tools another macro or bit of code gets executed to probe tool height if needed. However, because all the tools are set in holders you only really need to do this of you break a tool.

The M6 macro is the hardest bit but still it's not rocket science.

Operating
    Ahh okay that's great info, thanks! So I would only need to probe the top of my work piece with the first tool, then the other tool lengths are just a stored offset. Cool.

I still haven't set my VFD to run automatically, lol. Mostly 'cos it says it needs 20V logic IIRC, but my BOB and smooth stepper only outputs 5V.

I still haven't set my VFD to run automatically, lol. Mostly 'cos it says it needs 20V logic IIRC, but my BOB and smooth stepper only outputs 5V.
    What VFD is it because 20v logic is not common.?

Hi

The VFD is this one - https://www.cnc4you.co.uk/resources/VFD%20CNC4YOU.pdf

On PDF page 12 there is a hook up diagram that appears to show the control pin DCM being grounded and then connecting to the function pin you want to activate such as 'FOR' for 'forwards run'. Measuring between DCM (grounded) and the FOR pin I get 24V DC. So looks to me like the pin should be active low.

I tried connecting DCM to FOR and there was no response. Not sure what I'm supposed to do?

Hi

The VFD is this one - https://www.cnc4you.co.uk/resources/VFD%20CNC4YOU.pdf

On PDF page 12 there is a hook up diagram that appears to show the control pin DCM being grounded and then connecting to the function pin you want to activate such as 'FOR' for 'forwards run'. Measuring between DCM (grounded) and the FOR pin I get 24V DC. So looks to me like the pin should be active low.

I tried connecting DCM to FOR and there was no response. Not sure what I'm supposed to do?
    Ok you was correct but you need to Change parameter PD01=01. This tells the vfd to look for an external Run/Stop source using the Digital inputs.

If you want to control the speed using 0-10v then you need to do the same to parameter PD02=01. Then connect upto ACM with Gnd(0v) and 10v to VI.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Thread Information