. .
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Last edited by Doddy; 08-11-2020 at 03:49 PM.

I am still in bed. Maybe that's the problem. I really need that first cup of coffee!

Sorry, guys - I promise not to try mental arithmetic in public again...

Quote Originally Posted by Kitwn View Post
    RS Components do free delivery on all online orders which makes it economical to order only a few LEDs, resistors etc. of various values costing next to nothing for experimenting. I used to feel guilty about this and try to wait until I had a larger order, but they end up sending your order in 5 envelopes from 3 different countries anyway so don't worry about it. RS are not always the cheapest supplier but for small orders the free postage is very useful and delivery (here in Australia anyway) is quick.

If you're not sure what you need I'm sure there are several readers who could scan the online catalogue and suggest RS part numbers for you even if we don't have components we can send you directly.
    Looks like lots of options on there https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/displ...ect-relevancy-
    but I wonder I may not have the right spindle and encoder settings .
    Until I am confident of those then I might be flogging a dead horse replacing opto switches .
    If I were confident of my settings being correct in Mach 3 then I could happily mess about with resistors and adjust positions until I can get light shining through the hole. and the little Indicator of the diagnostics screen illuminating

Still puzzles me how Boxford could supply this setup with 10v and not a resistor in sight
    Last edited by John11668; 08-11-2020 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by depronman View Post
    I suspect with no resistor you have blown the new optical sensors
    Take the pin 12 and touch it to ground. See if this triggers the pin in mach3
    If it does then you have likely popped the new sensor

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have tried that and the yellow light goes out so sounds like I am stuck until I get some resistors .
    Will look out for my mail early in the week.

Had a look on RSwww and literally pence each but with £4.95 postage

so at least you have proven the wiring is correct and the setup in Mach3 is also correct

just need the resistors and fit a new pair of optical sensors and you should be good to go

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by John11668 View Post
    Have tried that and the yellow light goes out so sounds like I am stuck until I get some resistors .
    Will look out for my mail early in the week.

Had a look on RSwww and literally pence each but with £4.95 postage
    That's interesting, I must have been given a business account (which has free postage for all orders) for some reason without realising it. I've been a customer for donkeys years and have never been charged postage.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitwn View Post
    That's interesting, I must have been given a business account (which has free postage for all orders) for some reason without realising it. I've been a customer for donkeys years and have never been charged postage.
    I think it depends where you live. In the UK postage is normally charged unless you order is over a certain amount at which point postage becomes free
    I have a deal through work where by I get free postage and on most thinks a little off the price

I normally use CPC as they are local and if I need it quickly I can collect at their counter I find that I normally need something immediately so this works for me

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of you are privileged but we have no branch of RS or CPC within range .
    I do use RS for stuff like relays or Capacitors and the min order which I believe is £20 is usually covered
    And I have ordered at 9 pm and found the goods on y doormat by first post following morning. Brilliant

I'm a grumpy old git, and rarely have much good to say about anything. But, to be fair, both Farnell and RS have in recent years come along in leaps and bounds for supplying to the general public. As with John's experience I've had good next day delivery on small orders. I do think both trade better in volume, more so RS and MoQ can sometimes be prohibitive, and the supply chain rigour can mean that you can find cheaper elsewhere on some things (connectors and cables especially). Farnell pee'd me off at work with two switches (£140 each) taking over 6 months for delivery - but that's exceptional.

What I'm trying to say is that both RS and Farnell are very accessible to Joe Public.

CPC - yeah, like Depronman, is local to me - it was bought out by Farnell years ago but is a poor substitute. Very handy for picking up bits on-the-day, but with my laziness it can be easier just to throw an order out for next day delivery from the big-two (particularly as CPC closed their trade counter at the weekend under Covid).

Rapid, also springs to mind as a good supplier.

Quote Originally Posted by depronman View Post
    I think it depends where you live. In the UK postage is normally charged unless you order is over a certain amount at which point postage becomes free
    I've just checked both the UK and Australian RS websites and you're right. Free delivery for all online orders for those of us living down under but not for you poor souls still living in pommieland.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kitwn For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread Information