. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    I bought my DROs from Warco at the same time as buying the lathe. I know they are rebranded from someone else but the quality has been great and I’ve had no issues with over the years. I would not want to use a lathe without them now.
    I had a thread on my lathe arrival and DRO fitting a few years ago with some pictures and notes. I’ll see if I can find it
    Just been looking at the Warco ones, they look good for the money. Would be interested to see those photos.
    Thanks!

Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to routercnc For This Useful Post:

I used a Myford for years before buying this Smart and Brown. Never thought a DRO would be that useful on a lathe. Then I started using one. Wouldn't want to use a lathe without, now. Can't remember the time I last looked at the handwheel dials. Instant switch metric/imperial - if I'm working in metric units, but only have the imperial micrometer to hand, I'll take a cut, check dimensions and set the DRO in imperial units, then switch back to metric for DoC, finish dimension, etc. Until you've been in a position to cut, measure, set workpiece dia on the DRO, then just used the readout to get to dimension, then you haven't lived! Beats scruffy bits of paper with calculations, etc, and no way are you ever going to wonder how many turns you put on the feedscrew even if the figures after the decimal point are correct.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    I used a Myford for years before buying this Smart and Brown. Never thought a DRO would be that useful on a lathe. Then I started using one. Wouldn't want to use a lathe without, now. Can't remember the time I last looked at the handwheel dials. Instant switch metric/imperial - if I'm working in metric units, but only have the imperial micrometer to hand, I'll take a cut, check dimensions and set the DRO in imperial units, then switch back to metric for DoC, finish dimension, etc. Until you've been in a position to cut, measure, set workpiece dia on the DRO, then just used the readout to get to dimension, then you haven't lived! Beats scruffy bits of paper with calculations, etc, and no way are you ever going to wonder how many turns you put on the feedscrew even if the figures after the decimal point are correct.
    SOLD !
    Much appreciated, thanks.

JS used to have a website with all his photos on it, including his Bantam mods. I was looking at it only a month or 2 ago but can't recall how to get there. Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzer View Post
    You won't like the approach John Stevenson took with the DRO installation he did on his (partner's) Bantam.
    John was and still is to me a Legend, top man, Rough as a bears arse with a heart of Gold who called spade a spade. A funny bloke with a dry sarcastic sense of humor that would have you pissing your knickers.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzer View Post
    JS used to have a website with all his photos on it, including his Bantam mods. I was looking at it only a month or 2 ago but can't recall how to get there. Anyone know?
    I think Johns son used to handle the website so it's probably been taken down by now but I'll see if I've still got the link somewhere.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Yes it was Adam who linked to it from the HWS website (he runs it). https://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/

I think it was in an ad for the last remaining workshop manual CDs. Can't see it now, so he must have taken it down. It was within the last 1-2 months.

The OP could always email him via the website to ask for the link.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Muzzer For This Useful Post:

Thanks Kered, very interesting. I'm sold on the benefits of a DRO.
    I ordered the Machines DRO model specific for the Bantam yesterday. Sounds like you got a bargain with yours.
    Looking forward to getting it set-up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information