. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    Just downloaded it - all 3.5GB of it for the 3D version! - and installing to give it a try. Thanks for the pointer.
    No problem, it's a large download because the full program is contained within, additional features are locked.

It's not a problem given that I have a reasonably fast broadband connection - just that compared to F360 which I seem to remember is around 75MB, it seems enormous. That can't be right for F360, looking at the numbers, but I still don't believe it's quite that big!

A friend of mine is working on a fairly complex 3D model of a twin-bank radial aero engine and has switched to Solidedge from F360 as he reckons it's quite a bit more powerful. Not sure which version he's using, though.

I thought F360 was semi-browser based, not sure....?

Onshape is browser-based; F360 runs locally. I think! Autodesk have apparently been working on a browser-based version of F360 but I don't think it's ready for prime-time yet. Every time F360 updates (every few weeks or so), there's a fairly big download in the background but not as big as SE.

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    Onshape is browser-based; F360 runs locally. I think! Autodesk have apparently been working on a browser-based version of F360 but I don't think it's ready for prime-time yet. Every time F360 updates (every few weeks or so), there's a fairly big download in the background but not as big as SE.
    That's the difference between Awfuldesk and Siemens, fortnightly updates are mostly for bugs and instability. Siemens have updates probably every six months, in fact I can't remember the last update, just a reliable and stable tool.

ok I'm a bit confused.. I downloaded and installed solid edge 2020 but it seems a bit in depth for me especially as I only need to learn 2d for now. I then downloaded Solid Edge 2D but when I try to install it it just tries to modify or repair Solid Edge 2020. Its definitely a different download as its a different size. Do I need to uninstall Solid Edge 2020 to install the 2D version?

Yes you need to uninstall the 3d version before installing the 2d. For some reason only one version of solid edge is allowed on one system, even previous releases.

Thank you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information