Hi all,

I've recently found a Boxford TCL 240 in OKish condition that I plan to update to work with modern electronics and software. I haven't yet made my mind up, but LinuxCNC and Mach3 seem to be two of the most obvious candidates.

So far all I have done is given the machine a superficial clean up and had a look at the electronics section. The version I have has the fold-down tailstock but no auto tool changer carousel, with only the wiring for two motors visible from the front.

The 240 lathe I have has a Lenze motor driven by a Gemini controller. From the research Ive done I had found several references to problems with the metallised paper capacitors and the caps fitted appear to have failed although fortunately no fire damage. The main live feed to the Gemini has been disconnected,. There are signs of some other tinkering inside, the front panel wiring is unplugged from any board connections, the Lenze motor has had some of its feed wiring cut and what looks like a (Zenner) diode placed across its contactor feed connections.

What I also find hiding among the original electronics, very neatly installed on their own board with standoffs, are a pair of DIYCNC boards, with no connections in or out. Obviously a previous owner intended to convert the machine, but it looks like only preparatory work was undertaken.

I have found some info for the Optoport V3 board online, but only for the Spindle V5 rather than the Spindle V4 controller, if anyone has a copy of that I would be grateful.

Neither of the two boards have as yet been wired in, only physically mounted, and it came as a complete surprise to me to find them inside. I am not 'invested' in any way in using either of them, but from what I have read they seem to have been quite well regarded when they were new, even if that is a few years ago now. I would welcome any comments on the use of these boards today and whether they would force me into any one direction that wouldn't be that great for a noob.

Ade