. .
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I have tried linux various distros as my gaffer is a linux guru, but i have been windows since inception (win 3 and 3.11 :-) ), i also tried linuxcnc instead of mach3 for reasons stated here many a time and i just can't work out why i struggle so much but i do, that said, i will try again as it has to get easier as time goes by :-D :-D

Cheers Doddy

Thanks doddy
    I just knew that there had to be some appropriate experience to temper what I linked .
    Trouble with t'internet is that all the old stuff is still up there .

I am quite happy to go with that.
    Just hope Bernie had something to fit the bill

Quote Originally Posted by John11668 View Post
    Thanks doddy
    I just knew that there had to be some appropriate experience to temper what I linked .
    Trouble with t'internet is that all the old stuff is still up there .

I am quite happy to go with that.
    Just hope Bernie had something to fit the bill
    I will :-)

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by BernieNUFC View Post
    I have tried linux various distros as my gaffer is a linux guru, but i have been windows since inception (win 3 and 3.11 :-) ), i also tried linuxcnc instead of mach3 for reasons stated here many a time and i just can't work out why i struggle so much but i do, that said, i will try again as it has to get easier as time goes by :-D :-D

Cheers Doddy
    This is the version I would go with Mint 19.3

https://forum.linuxcnc.org/9-install...nt-iso?start=0
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Will go that way Clive . Thankyou!
    Hopefully Bernie will turn up a suitable cheap box to put it in .

So i have a box for you, if you pm me your details

Lives in St Annes on the Sea, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 35 Minutes Ago Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 159. Received thanks 19 times, giving thanks to others 6 times.
    Seconded on mint 19.3. Been using it on my vmc190 without issues. Linuxcnc v2.8

I’m actually running linuxcnc v2.9 something on the orac lathe but that was trying to get a usb pendant to work, however it’s been rock solid so it’s staying on v2.9 with it’s working pendant

I’m using the par port on the m/b on the orac plus one pci add in par port for external buttons inputs

The vmc190 is using a rather more modern m/b with no par port but I managed to get a pci card off eBay second hand that as two par ports so all is good
    One think to watch out for when setting the par port in linuxcnc to ‘in’ mode is that a lot of the pins now work as input pins as against the std configuration of output pin, this is great as you get a lot more of the precious input pins but the BOB’s are configured to have the pin as in output pins and as such the option couplers are the wrong way around
    This had me fooled for a long time as it appeared that the BOB was not working in ‘in’ mode when it actually was

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to depronman For This Useful Post:

Paul, if the 190 is fully function with the boxford software would you still recommend changing it to linuxcnc?

bernie
    Last edited by BernieNUFC; 12-10-2020 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    This is the version I would go with Mint 19.3

https://forum.linuxcnc.org/9-install...nt-iso?start=0
    Clive,
    What's the advantage of this over the generic clean instal of LinuxCNC itself?

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Lives in St Annes on the Sea, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 35 Minutes Ago Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 159. Received thanks 19 times, giving thanks to others 6 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by BernieNUFC View Post
    Paul, if the 190 is fully function with the boxford software would you still recommend changing it to linuxcnc?

bernie
    If you have the boxford software and it’s all functional then maybe not
    I’ve never tried the boxford software myself. I was told it was about £600 and the boxford would deal with educational establishments so even if my pockets had been deep enough then boxford would not sell it to me anyway

Also bear in mind that it was aimed at education as against industry and as such may be far from std in terms of G code etc
    Are there any post processors that spit out boxford std g code ? As without this your life will be much harder

Linuxcnc is at least current and if there are any hardware issue then the electronics being replaced with new stepper drivers etc makes it all new and compatible
    This is the root that I chose but I didn’t have the boxford software as an option

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to depronman For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information