. .
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 19 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Kit
    It is the same kernel as the Buster one. But uses Mint and has a bit of other stuff installed as well like wifi dongle .

I just prefer it. I have tried both.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

BernieNUFC - a massive thankyou for the PC's that arrived todays. I have cleared them out with an airline and installed LCNC on the better specced one.
    Not conencted to the mill yet, but running the jitter test it looks very good at well under 20,000

Thanks again
    Paul

great news thank you, glad to have helped

Bernie

Likewise Bernie !
    Thanks from me . I havent got it up and running yet . Tells me Boot mgr is missing but I presume I will get some advice from here on how to deal with that, and I am guessing that a Linux install will have different requirements anyway !

John

6. The Following User Says Thank You to John11668 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by John11668 View Post
    Likewise Bernie !
    Thanks from me . I havent got it up and running yet . Tells me Boot mgr is missing but I presume I will get some advice from here on how to deal with that, and I am guessing that a Linux install will have different requirements anyway !

John
    Ya the hdd will have been wiped so the pc doesn’t see a boot manager which is normally part of the windows install
    When you load linuxcnc it will then provide the linux boot manager and all will work perfectly

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to depronman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by depronman View Post
    If you have the boxford software and it’s all functional then maybe not
    I’ve never tried the boxford software myself. I was told it was about £600 and the boxford would deal with educational establishments so even if my pockets had been deep enough then boxford would not sell it to me anyway

Also bear in mind that it was aimed at education as against industry and as such may be far from std in terms of G code etc
    Are there any post processors that spit out boxford std g code ? As without this your life will be much harder

Linuxcnc is at least current and if there are any hardware issue then the electronics being replaced with new stepper drivers etc makes it all new and compatible
    This is the root that I chose but I didn’t have the boxford software as an option

Paul

Its better than i thought, its in brilliant condition and has all the cd's with manuals and software v10, it is loaded and working via usb on a win 10 pc and i have downloaded a 260 post processor for fusion that has been created by someone and i have asked the question if this will work on my 190, i am in a very very new area to what i am used to so need to go slowly, but i have to say i am excited :-)

I see no reason why the post processor would be different between the 190 260 & 300 vmc
    They are all just larger versions of the smallest 190 machine
    The addition of a tool changer would add complexity but not really to the post processor

I’ve never used the boxford software but suspect it is written for its target audience which is education and training but I see no reason why it will not be ok for the capabilities of what is a fairly small mill
    A 4th axis (rotary table) may be the deal breaker but equally may be a capability in the boxford software

Let us know how it goes
    Get yourself some polystyrene sheet to practice on it’s much cheaper that breaking cutters

Cheers and best of luck with it

11. The Following User Says Thank You to depronman For This Useful Post:

I think i might try to learn the intricacies of the machine with its own software have the manuals etc, i then hope that i can go Linux or mach3 and increase the capabilities i.e. 4th axis.
    With that said if i can get to grips easier than expected maybe there will be a path to sell this on and get a bigger one that i can use at work as opposed for just my hobby, who knows ?
    Polystyrene, nice one :-)
    Cheers Paul

The foam insulation material in about 50mm thick is ideal

Paul

14. The Following User Says Thank You to depronman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by depronman View Post
    The foam insulation material in about 50mm thick is ideal

Paul

Best advice I heard recently was Kingspan or similar - a better structure than polystyrene (okay, the dust will kill you - but that's better than the polystyrene balls electrostatically sticking to the inside of your workshop) and builders (around here at least) tend to sell on excess on the local Facebook sales sites.

EDIT: Actually, think I just repeated exactly what depronman had said (apologies - I saw "foam" but read "polystyrene"...and the Kingspan should be attributed to ngwagwa)
    Last edited by Doddy; 15-10-2020 at 07:15 PM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doddy For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information