. .
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by depronman View Post
    Yes we live not very far away from each other
    Not sure I fully understand you last post
    Unwarranted concern that I'd have to make system changes that would need to be committed to disk and rebooted (e.g. network configurations across twin NICs, including static configuration for the Mesa-based LAN interface (separate to the main interface) - usually if you have to tweak system files you're either restarting services or rebooting. My expectation was that the install was booting from a read-only filesystem into ram - I think that's what the Debian install does (can't remember now), BUT... just tried a boot from USB and was able to copy my machine config over, rebuild my custom HAL components, uplift my machine configuration automatically) and got the lathe running under Mint/LinuxCNC 2.8 within about 10 minutes.

Too late to cancel the same-day order for the removable drive-bay adapter.

Mint looks, for the 15 minutes I've played with it, much more comfortable than Debian.
    Last edited by Doddy; 17-10-2020 at 11:22 AM.

Lives in St Annes on the Sea, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 31 Minutes Ago Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 159. Received thanks 19 times, giving thanks to others 6 times.
    Yes I would agree on the mint look and feel over Debian

Good result on the swift changeover
    I have a couple of hard drives with a Debian setup on my orac lathe. I’m feeling the need to move that to mint as well. But really need to concentrate on the boxford atm

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by depronman; 17-10-2020 at 11:29 PM.

Hi All,

Just adding my name to the Linux / Mint / LinuxCNC party going on here. This will be the basis for my Boxford tcl240 conversion that I know a few of you have already commented on (thanks). I snagged a PC yesterday, and have collected a screen and some other bits and pieces together, and now have the prepackaged Mint/Linux iso waiting on a usb drive (thanks for the link) and GParted on a CD ready to get to work on an old hard drive..... I'll let you know how I get on once Ive located a VGA cable to plug my monitor in!

Ade

Lives in St Annes on the Sea, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 31 Minutes Ago Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 159. Received thanks 19 times, giving thanks to others 6 times.
    I made another attempt using ‘etcher’ to copy the mint iso to a pen drive
    All very straight forward to use etcher and the pen drive worked perfectly even on the
    HP pc that previously did not like the pen drive

Etcher 1. Rufus 0. I k ow which I’ll be using in the future

Made good progress today getting a hb04 wireless pendant working and set up
    Still got a small problem with the step size selection which is not working quite as it should

Paul

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to depronman For This Useful Post:

I didnt find rufus user friendly.
    I used win32 disc imager and downloaded mint from clive's linked site
    Not being used to linux (never seen it before) it took me a while to find the linuxcncfiles and select lathe from the plethora of configurations , but I have it now with a desktop Icon.

Still puzzled a bit as to how to configure it though .

No problem for now as I need to finish the wiring yet and as I said before I will check this out using Mach 3
    Then will come back for specific tuition on Linuxcnc

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 21 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Not being used to linux (never seen it before) it took me a while to find the linuxcncfiles and select lathe from the plethora of configurations , but I have it now with a desktop Icon.
    I think you may have got a sim working. If you have that lets you play about and use the gui but won't drive a machine.

If you are going to use a P/port the you need to use the stepconf wizard to get started http://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/config/stepconf.html
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    I think you may have got a sim working. If you have that lets you play about and use the gui but won't drive a machine.

If you are going to use a P/port the you need to use the stepconf wizard to get started http://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/config/stepconf.html
    I think you will be right there (sim only)
    Paul

so this is what I was looking at

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot at 2020-10-18 18-25-23.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	28996

Maybe I just need to send Clive a pen drive .

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 21 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by John11668 View Post
    so this is what I was looking at

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot at 2020-10-18 18-25-23.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	28996

Maybe I just need to send Clive a pen drive .
    Pat yourself on the back you have the pendrive

Ok you have linuxcnc loaded but what you have there is the sim. you have Linuxcnc but the error is showing that the pc might have to be setup by changing some setting in the bios

Now find the wizard and use stepconf to make a real working config.

are you going to use a P/port ?

See my post with the link to stepconf
    Last edited by Clive S; 18-10-2020 at 07:42 PM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Thanks for the heads-up on Etcher Paul, I used this and the iso booted first time.

My jitter readings are crazy high with my Dell. Going to try with external graphics and see where that get me but may need to change to a different motherboard, we shall see

Ade

12. The Following User Says Thank You to clutchslip For This Useful Post:

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread Information