. .
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    Might need a LinuxCNC expert here - can LinuxCNC and the real-time kernel be easily installed on a Mint base installation? (I've only ever installed the LinuxCNC/Debian prebuilt package?

Reason I ask, John, is if not you may need to install the LinuxCNC ISO image similar to what Clive links to, in which case I wouldn't go too far down the path you're following, if you find yourself re-installing down the line
    The link I put up is https://forum.linuxcnc.org/9-install...int-iso#165631 the RT version with Mint with linuxcnc and wifi support and is simple to upgrade .

In a terminal type

sudo apt-get update
    then
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

will get you the latest packages

If you want the official version :- http://www.linuxcnc.org/iso/linuxcnc-2.8.0-buster.iso The Debian 10 Buster ISO uses a PREEMPT-RT patch

But in my opinion the mint one is a lot more user friendly.
    Last edited by Clive S; 16-10-2020 at 11:02 PM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

My understanding is Doddy is correct
    Linuxcnc needs the RT kernel
    The link provided is for an iso of Linux mint 19.3 which also includes linuxcnc 2.8.0 already installed
    This means that someone (beagle brain from memory) as already done the hard work and integrated linuxcnc into Linux mint

If I was John I would take the easy route abs use the iso with all of the hard work already done for you

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will have a look again in the light of day .
    In all honesty Clive I got so lost amongst what google threw up that I "muddled "my way through, but no harm done as I can easily go back to square one and start afresh. With a clean box little is lost.
    At least I now know that Bernies box works ( Thanks again Bernie) and I now know how to make a bootable drive , So at least one step forward when I go your route Clive .
    I quite like the clean desktop of linux so will try to keep it that way and leave all the rubbish on the windows machine.
    I still have Mach3 and UCCNC on there for the mill , so maybe have to get used to switching. between operating systems

Quote Originally Posted by John11668 View Post
    Will have a look again in the light of day .
    In all honesty Clive I got so lost amongst what google threw up that I "muddled "my way through, but no harm done as I can easily go back to square one and start afresh. With a clean box little is lost.
    At least I now know that Bernies box works ( Thanks again Bernie) and I now know how to make a bootable drive , So at least one step forward when I go your route Clive .
    I quite like the clean desktop of linux so will try to keep it that way and leave all the rubbish on the windows machine.
    I still have Mach3 and UCCNC on there for the mill , so maybe have to get used to switching. between operating systems
    John
    Its no use to try and download linux from anywhere but from the linuxcnc site that is where the links came from that I gave you.

The site that you linked to is charging you £9 for a 32 bit version of linux which is FREE . You need the 64 bit version from the linuxcnc site as it need a real time kernel.

Please re read this post from the beginning. It is not as complicated as you make out. I will even post you a usb stick with linuxcnc on it and it will load linuxcnc in 10mins

Sorry to be pedantic but these days linuxcnc has never been easier to load.
    ..Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    John
    Sorry to be pedantic but these days linuxcnc has never been easier to load.
    Sorry to hijack the thread - Clive - I'm keen to try Mint - do you know if it's possible/easy to install alongside another (Debian) install?, I really don't want to trash my Deb. install just yet, but I do prefer Ubuntu to Debian, and I guess Mint will provide a closer experience to Ubuntu.

EDIT: And, apologies Clive - the link you pointed to (I'm there now to download your recommended ISO) also includes the instructions how to update a base Mint install to include the RT kernel, LinuxCNC etc, although I do think a clean install from an ISO provides the lowest risk hassle-free install.
    Last edited by Doddy; 17-10-2020 at 09:42 AM.

EDIT: And, apologies Clive - the link you pointed to (I'm there now to download your recommended ISO) also includes the instructions how to update a base Mint install to include the RT kernel, LinuxCNC etc, although I do think a clean install from an ISO provides the lowest risk hassle-free install.
    IF I am not mistaken you can boot the iso and it will load a live version to see it and won't overwrite the HD until you click on the iso button on the desktop. It is a good idea to be connected to the internet when installing .

In your case why not just swap out the HD for another and test it out on that. Then you can always put the other HD back.

One very good think with linux is that you can generally move HD's around from machine to machine without issue.

If anybody is interested.
    I am considering making a post about the HAL and INI files to simplify or try to explain what they and how they work as I know there is a lot of confusion around this. But as you know I am not good at explaining stuff.
    ..Clive

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

IF I am not mistaken you can boot the iso and it will load a live version to see it and won't overwrite the HD until you click on the iso button on the desktop. It is a good idea to be connected to the internet when installing .
    I'd prefer to install - then I can go a long way to breaking things with other package installs etc, configuration, customisation, but with a view of stepping back from the cliff and recovering back to normal if it all goes wrong.

In your case why not just swap out the HD for another and test it out on that. Then you can always put the other HD back.

One very good think with linux is that you can generally move HD's around from machine to machine without issue.
    Sigh!, you must think I've hard-drives just lying around.... Oh!, I do. Fair point, will take that approach (though will need to copy my machine installation first.

I am considering making a post about the HAL and INI files to simplify or try to explain what they and how they work as I know there is a lot of confusion around this. But as you know I am not good at explaining stuff.
    Happy to review technically if you want a second pair of eyes. No ulterior motive other than knowing it can be useful having a second pair of eyes/perspective. Does it belong here?, possibly not, but although there is substantial documentation on LinuxCNC sites/forums, it's very regimented and fragmented, and doesn't bring different topics together well.

If anybody is interested.
    I can confirm that when you start the pc with the mint iso from either a pen drive or dvd it does not install mint instead it loads mint and lets you look around and run linuxcnc but will not save any configs. You can run the jitter year etc but I did get slightly worse results until I installed mint on the hdd
    If you are happy with mint then there is an ‘install to hard disk icon’ icon on the desktop. Click this and it’s all done in a matter of 10mins

All the best. Paul

10. The Following User Says Thank You to depronman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by depronman View Post
    I can confirm that when you start the pc with the mint iso from either a pen drive or dvd it does not install mint instead it loads mint and lets you look around and run linuxcnc but will not save any configs. You can run the jitter year etc but I did get slightly worse results until I installed mint on the hdd
    If you are happy with mint then there is an ‘install to hard disk icon’ icon on the desktop. Click this and it’s all done in a matter of 10mins

All the best. Paul

Cheers depronman (hey!, you're local to me!), I do foresee a reboot or two during configuration, so would want to install to disk before making my mind up. I was hoping there was a positive "no worries - just dual-install/boot through grub", but it does feel safer to swap out a HD (that I had to remove a spare HD from my keyboard at 6am this morning kinda amplifies this as a solution).

Yes we live not very far away from each other
    Not sure I fully understand you last post

Paul

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information